sharetrader
Page 230 of 899 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230231232233234240280330730 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 8983
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Cheers for your contribution emveha. One of the many good things about this forum is all the eyes and ears out there reporting in stuff the`ve picked up from around. This article however is a little old , H& M arrived October 2016. I still stand by my prediction made 3 months ago that they will disappear into the retail graveyard because of their large store format and cheaper clothing.Wrong so far.... HLG on the other hand seem to have figured the optimum "small and Neat " size. Even there flagship stores in Wellies and CHCH aren't too big.
    I share your views.

H&M in Sylvia Park is very popular. I have no doubt H&M will do fine, but I don't think that will come of the expense of HLG. They will never have the same reach as Hallenstein Glassons in NZ. And also so many men's retailers are going under that there's plenty of business left for those smart enough

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    That article might be a little old but I expect that emveha meant to post this article from yesterday: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12062610
    Dear me, how time flies. But yes, that one.

StatsNZ Retail Card Spend May

Apparel down 3.8% v May 2017 following a 2.4% decline in April

Indicates a 'softish' market for likes of Hallensteins and Glassons

But no worries as both are killing the competition and making big market share gains
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

But no worries as both are killing the competition and making big market share gains
    hey winner you make a lot of post like this....eg such and such a fact then no worries, and then some expansive positivity.
    to be honest to me they sound a bit sarcastic.... is that what you intend or not?

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Cheers for that W69. 2 winters ago the average 5 winter month apparel NZ spend was 307.8 mill and HLG made 6.9 mill NPAT, last winter the ave spend for the same 5 months was 306.4 mill (down 0.5%)and HLG made $8.1 mil NPAT (up 17.4%). The first winter month sales of this year is 304 mil so quite a bit down. As hungry as we all are for this kind of "heads up" there really isn't any correlation between NZ apparel spend and HLG`s NPAT. The only enemies I've observed for HLG as stated before are the USD and an unseasonably warm winter. Obviously no worries about the USD or NZ being too warm right now. Not sure about Melbourne`s temp but anything under 25c feels cold to them so should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Cheers for that W69. 2 winters ago the average 5 winter month apparel NZ spend was 307.8 mill and HLG made 6.9 mill NPAT, last winter the ave spend for the same 5 months was 306.4 mill (down 0.5%)and HLG made $8.1 mil NPAT (up 17.4%). The first winter month sales of this year is 304 mil so quite a bit down. As hungry as we all are for this kind of "heads up" there really isn't any correlation between NZ apparel spend and HLG`s NPAT. The only enemies I've observed for HLG as stated before are the USD and an unseasonably warm winter. Obviously no worries about the USD or NZ being too warm right now. Not sure about Melbourne`s temp but anything under 25c feels cold to them so should be ok.
    Correct Naverick but there is a very strong correlation between HLG H2 NZ sales and these card spend sales for the corresponding periods.

In 2015, 2016 and 2017 HLG second half sales in NZ have basically grown in line with card spend. There ‘market share’ on this numbers has remained about 5.0%. Essentially if card spend is a de facto market size HLG stores haven’t grown market share.

As you are no doubt aware npat is also impacted by other things like margins and expense. The npat figures you mention include these factors....as well as including what happened in Australia.

So if anything the ‘heads up’ from that card spend data is that HLG NZ sales in H2 this year possibly might not be as robust as some think. Nothing else than that ....and top line growth is a key driver of profit growth

Hopefully margins are still improving and expenses remain under control and Aussie is still booming .¿if so no worries about the expected record profit being reported

Cold wet and windy outside so a bit bored so pulled this together foir completeness sake

HLG NZ sales (exc Storm) as a share of Stats NZ Retail Card Spend data aligned to HLG reporting periods

Share is up so far this year ...thats good and hopefully a start of a new trend after being pretty flat for a while

Maverick ..as a heads up Card Spend down 1.5% this period .... incraesed share should pull HLG through
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by winner69; 13-06-2018 at 05:13 PM.

A few months before the next whopper of a divie

But NZD has dropped below USD69 cents and even lower in Australia. Could go lower still. Makes life a bit difficult for HLG

Just saying

NZD holding just above 69 cents according to ANZ securities this morning. Still in the multi year band of 69-74 cents and I am sure HLG use forward cover to buy their currency forward when it pops up from time to time and mange this extremely well, just like they manage the rest of their business.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine