Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
With respect because I know you know this, but ex-dividend share price analysis is imho not an accurate representation of investment 'returns'.

A buy and hold strategy over 10 years must take into account accumulated dividends, then it gets complicated (i.e. assumptions are required) as to whether the dividends are re-invested in the head-share or elsewhere and what the tax paid is and ergo overall return over the 10-years is.

In the scenario Beagle has laid out, I'm not a fan of RYM as 'the single investment' over 10years, I think its commercial model could be vulnerable to regulation in the future (like in Australia). A good company in a portfolio, but not imo the best if limited to one choice.

I'd pick an utterly boring company in an entrenched industry that consistently makes obscene profits .. ah ha, that'd be a bank, so lets say ANZ is my pick.

ANZ's return on equity is pretty poor, actually. I know the MSM loves to spread fake news about bank profits, the truth is of course different.

ANZ has probably been one of my worst investments over the last few years, not that I'm complaining and I'm still holding.

Anyway, my pick would be something like BHP. It does a bit of everything on the commodities front. Oil will be in great demand for years to come and when EVs eventually take over, copper will make us even more money.