sharetrader

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I am not sure what the benefit is of "continuum of care". My only experience is of my parents' friend who was resident of a village with a full range of rest home and hospital level care facilities. She had an OCA for a serviced apartment but When she required hospital level care she had to move out of her village and into another facility with a hospital vacancy.

As far as I can see "continuum of care" is of benefit if you are in a position to be able to wait until a vacancy opens up in the hospital or rest home facilities in your village. However what proportion of people needing care are able to wait it out?

disc: oca and met holder
    Possibly best to ask a Ryman shareholder mate but I believe that whilst there's no guarantees that one can shift when they need to as their needs change, I understand existing residents within a village generally get first dibs on more advanced care spaces as compared to outsiders coming from say a MET village hoping to get a space.
    I know for some Ryman villages a couple might move from an independent living 2-3 bedroom townhouse down to a non serviced or serviced apartment and then one or other as needs arise to hospital or dementia level care. Ryman don't charge commissions on downsizing like SUM other companies do. I think it just gives extra peace of mind but as you suggest there possibly are no guarantees or timing but I presume one's condition generally changes somewhat gradually. On the other side of the ledger someone coming from a wholly independent living village at MET is possibly like a beggar trying to beg to get into a new care suite and may have to shift well out of the area to get one, (which can be tough on the remaining partner still living independently especially if they can't drive to visit their partner)
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-12-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine