Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
I wouldn't hold $US this time as the US has massive external debt now. Honestly its a pretty fluid situation and one needs to adapt their investment strategy as this unfolds.
For what its worth I am now 55% in $NZ cash, and most of the rest of my investments are in defensive stocks like GNE, MEL, ARG, OCA (yes this is defensive as its needs based late stage healthcare), ZEL (consumer staple) and some modest stakes in SML HGH, AIR.

I don't think the market has really cottoned on to the fact that OCA is pretty defensive.
Interesting, thanks. I largely stopped buying shares a couple of years ago and have been selling down since then but am still roughly 50:50 shares and cash in terms of financial assets. Have never invested in gold but am seriously thinking about it this time as I think there is potential for the proverbial to really hit the fan this time. I will watch the exchange rates and switch to $US if the $NZ starts to wobble. I think the bigger problems are likely to be elsewhere than US initially and in uncertainty people will look for safety and where is that? Not Europe, not Britain