sharetrader

Hybrid View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    The million dollar question, or .5m in my case, is how do I choose this portfolio and secondly how do I manage it. I am not averse to researching the subject but I am afraid of getting it wrong.
    How much do you have in KiwiSaver (and in any other pension schemes) and in what type of KiwiSaver fund? What type of debt-free house do you have. If it is a big house in an expensive location, then that gives you the ability to trade down to a cheaper property and gives you an extra cushion of financial security that could be drawn upon in retirement. Also depending on the KiwiSaver balance you may be able to make a more risky property or Real estate related stock exchange investment with your $500k

Both house prices and stock exchange prices have had good increases in prices and may well be entering a consolidation phase now. Is your 500k currently in a big Aussie bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    How much do you have in KiwiSaver (and in any other pension schemes) and in what type of KiwiSaver fund? What type of debt-free house do you have. If it is a big house in an expensive location, then that gives you the ability to trade down to a cheaper property and gives you an extra cushion of financial security that could be drawn upon in retirement. Also depending on the KiwiSaver balance you may be able to make a more risky property or Real estate related stock exchange investment with your $500k

Both house prices and stock exchange prices have had good increases in prices and may well be entering a consolidation phase now. Is your 500k currently in a big Aussie bank?
    I have already traded down the expensve house. New house cost 500k and now have 500k in the bank. (nz$)
    Nothing else of any major value. All cashed up including kiwisaver.

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    I have already traded down the expensve house. New house cost 500k and now have 500k in the bank. (nz$)
    Nothing else of any major value. All cashed up including kiwisaver.
    Would you like me to start a new thread for you in the main NZX section so people can opine on this. Perhaps a heading like this.
    I have exactly $500K to invest in my retirement years. What portfolio investment stratagy would you recommend to maximise my long term wellbeing ?
    It might help people to refine their recommended strategy for you if you stated your approximate age and if its just you or you and your partner and I assume you're getting National Superannuation ?
    Is it a major goal to leave as much as possible to your kids (if any) when you pass on or are they ratbags like mine are and don't deserve anything ?

You might as well tap into the collective wisdom on here.
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-01-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine