Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
Simplest effective least risky way could be to sell a chosen number (eg 3000) every 3 days, week or fortnight or month etc so you average out, not selling at a top or a bottom taking into account pay dates for divs which may vary the quantity to sell ie cum or ex div depending on your situ..
Thanks, Joshuatree - presume what you're suggesting is for each and every holding?

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
if you don't want equity risk/reward you should sell out at least half pretty quickly I reckon. and then phase selling the second half out more slowly.
If you did it too slowly - say you were selling 5% per month over 20 months you'd be pretty gutted if there a big fall during the next six months. And given the last quarter of 2018 that is now very much an increased possibility.
Also going for broad stroke action such as selling half, you dont need to pay a broker for their input , you can do it online for low fees. I personally dont think full liquidation requires an overly complex strategy. obviously dont sell them all on one day and dont move the price around if a holding is quite large wrt daily volume. Try to sell into rising markets (eg now cf October-Dec) with limit prices on every sell order.
Thanks, Peat. Am I right in thinking you're suggesting something similar to Joshuatree, just with a big sell off immediately?
Interesting you're both suggesting across the board selling rather than picking holding by holding...good food for thought.