sharetrader
Page 307 of 397 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317357 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3962

Quote Originally Posted by cymonger View Post
    Thanks for this. I've always been an investor in the NZ tourism story, and mostly (excepting 2018 for instance) it's worked out really well. I think the Chinese middle-class has taken some hits this year due in part to Trump's machinations, but overall the world is getting safer, more affluent, and traveling more. I recently read Steven Pinker's book dispelling a number of "sky is falling" myths about the world. It's important to take the long view about these things and not make emotional decisions. I'll be buying more AIR today as well. I still believe in the story, but as you wisely point out, a little breather to catch up may overall be a good thing for New Zealand.
    In addition, price gouging compared to alternatives, seen a lot of reviews on social media that NZ is very expenses and word gets around.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    In addition, price gouging compared to alternatives, seen a lot of reviews on social media that NZ is very expenses and word gets around.
    Yes that word definitely is getting out. But I think many countries that have seen big growth in visitors, largely due to a clean green environment (yes we can debate the accuracy of that) such as NZ, Norway, Iceland and many others, are all bulging at the seems. No doubt we will have an increased debate about whether we somehow try to control the type of tourists we prefer and how we do it. Being more expensive is not necessarily a bad thing, if people get what they pay for and leave satisfied.

However if you are renting an motor home a lot of your big costs are known at the time you book. Airfares, accommodation and vehicle rental are all known, as would the cost of the interislander if you go between islands. People continue to book and come here. Also slowing growth still means more people coming into the country than the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes that word definitely is getting out. But I think many countries that have seen big growth in visitors, largely due to a clean green environment (yes we can debate the accuracy of that) such as NZ, Norway, Iceland and many others, are all bulging at the seems. No doubt we will have an increased debate about whether we somehow try to control the type of tourists we prefer and how we do it. Being more expensive is not necessarily a bad thing, if people get what they pay for and leave satisfied.
    Probabably one of the most expensive places I’ve been to is Iceland but that doesn’t seem to stop me and many more millions making the trip and having a great time there....and maybe even go back
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Probabably one of the most expensive places I’ve been to is Iceland but that doesn’t seem to stop me and many more millions making the trip and having a great time there....and maybe even go back
    And despite being so expensive they’ve grown visitor numbers from 500,000 in 2010 to 2.1 million in 2017, 6 ttimes the population !! Shows its not all about being cheap

Guru

Exchange rate also makes a big difference - not that long ago the Kiwi was 3 to the pound, 2 to the USD and about 2 to the Euro.

Makes a huge difference for a Pom coming here, or a Yank for that matter. Makes a huge difference also for Kiwi's going off-shore for hols.

But I wouldn't argue about price gouging in some areas......

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    And despite being so expensive they’ve grown visitor numbers from 500,000 in 2010 to 2.1 million in 2017, 6 ttimes the population !! Shows its not all about being cheap
    No - its not about being cheap - it is about being offering value for money. I can't comment on Iceland, but New Zealand sells a lot of hype (clean and green, 100% pure) but delivers rivers which are hardly wade-able, springs which are dangerous to drink from, chlorinated town drinking water like in third world countries, drinking water with unhealthy load of nitrates and beaches which are a health hazard to use, next to a stretched infrastructure and a more and more anti-tourist population. Sure, they like to take the money, but wouldn't it better these people paid up but stayed home?

I think it is time for a cool down period - we need to become cleaner and start to appreciate our guests (aka cash cows) again.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

No question in my mind that hiring a decent 6 berth campervan for as decent 10-14 day run around the South Island in peak season is quite an expensive exercise. If I think its quite expensive then most Tourists are sure to be thinking the same. TH2 is also a hole that nobody knows the depth of. I see plenty of risk with this one.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    No question in my mind that hiring a decent 6 berth campervan for as decent 10-14 day run around the South Island in peak season is quite an expensive exercise. If I think its quite expensive then most Tourists are sure to be thinking the same.
    If you have to rent a car for 10-14 day trip in south island and have to find an accommodation for each night to stay plus having to give up the view you get to see when you wake up + sleep and flexibility and fun you get by travelling on a campervan, I don't think that would be that quite expensive

Quote Originally Posted by pg0220 View Post
    If you have to rent a car for 10-14 day trip in south island and have to find an accommodation for each night to stay plus having to give up the view you get to see when you wake up + sleep and flexibility and fun you get by travelling on a campervan, I don't think that would be that quite expensive
    I understand where you're coming from that its a unique experience and motels and rental cars are not cheap either and have less flexibility but that doesn't change the fact that travel all the way to N.Z. and then expensive campervan hire in peak season is a "luxury"* discretionary purchase that people make when they feel good about their economic situation and prospects and if they don't feel good about their finances or prospects, guess what, they don't do it !
    *Being stuck in a campervan for 10-14 days with kids is not my idea of luxury holiday but each to their own.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine