sharetrader

Threaded View

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBop View Post
    It was nice buying GBP in 2016....and generally nice buying over the two years....the stock market it sorely undervalued....BUT BUT BUT....who is prepared to bid on which way it goes? For me, no big issues as I can use the money in the UK anyway....if the GBP and market strengthens, I will also have the choice to realise NZD or USD. Holidaying in the UK has been good! Educating child has been cheaper than planned ... sharemarket, cheaper than planned....but who knows....I also see that it has all been priced in for the time being...but who knows!
    That's the key, really - personal circumstances. I rather think that you're a bit of an outlier. . .

If you can use those pounds in the UK, then it's plain sailing. But if you're coming from the outside, there is a real risk that those pounds, however cheap they may be to buy, are going to be held captive by the exchange rate.

Personally, I have a sneaking suspicion that moving into the UK (or Europe) post Brexit would run the risk of your buying and/or holding more and more of something which is worth less and less.

Tricky.

I'm inclined to invest in pounds but outside the UK, or Euros outside Europe in the expectation that the pound and euro will both depreciate - in something like a GBP-denominated S&P500 fund, or a EUR-denominated ASX/200 fund as examples.
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 08-02-2019 at 07:50 PM.