sharetrader
Page 230 of 697 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230231232233234240280330 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 6963
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Latest quarterly data.
    Sept 2018 total population 10.052. 51.0% Maori, 39.3% violence, 20.2% sexual offences.
    Sept 2017 total population 10,470 50.7% maori., 38% violence, 19.5% sexual offences

So more violent and sexual offending under labour and Maori are a greater proportion of prison population
    I can't see how you came up with that pronouncement given the numbers, Minimoke. The prison population dropped by 418 over the first year of the coalition. Coincidentally most likely, that resulted in Maori being a slightly bigger proportion of the total, but still, there will probably be over 200 Maori (net) who are no longer in prison.

I think the facts suggest that serious crimes that result in longer prison terms are now a slightly bigger part of the prison population compared to a year ago, but that doesn't mean that the rate of recent serious offending has gone up. More likely it has gone down, and we'll have to keep watching the data.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I can't see how you came up with that pronouncement given the numbers, Minimoke. .
    Simple math. Maori currently make up 51% of the prison population, up from the previous 50.7%. Lets face it Jacinda , and her Maori MP's have done nothing for Maori despite her pumped up promises

Veteran novice

I'm not sure what the argument is about. In pure numbers, 51% of 10,052 is less than 50.7% of 10,470. 5126 v 5308.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I'm not sure what the argument is about. In pure numbers, 51% of 10,052 is less than 50.7% of 10,470. 5126 v 5308.
    Its not a pure numbers issue. The political discussion is always around the disproportionate representation of Maori in the prison statistics, and lately how Jacinda was going to improve their lot.

Legend

Its not a pure numbers issue. The political discussion is always around the disproportionate representation of Maori in the prison statistics, and lately how Jacinda was going to improve their lot.
    In that case, the government could simply rescind the terms of some Maori prisoners to fix the issue on a quarterly basis? I think you have to be a bit more patient.

On balance, Jacinda did a good job at Waitangi this year. Heard a bit about Norman Kirk on RNZ today, his life takes some living up to. Jacinda appears to think on much the same lines. As such, she'll be well in line with most Labour Party members that I have met.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/02/0...angi?preview=1
    Last edited by elZorro; 07-02-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Well, Cindy is certainly a smooth talker - but here is more: she promised 2019 will be the year for Labour to deliver.

And hey - she started already: unemployment rate 4,3 % up from 3.9 % in Q3 - miimum wage policies start to bite;

https://tradingeconomics.com/new-zea...mployment-rate

Anybody paid Road user charges recently? They are now (for a light vehicle) close to 7 c per liter - as high as never before ... but hey, unemployed people don't need to drive that much - good thinking!

Looking forward to the rest of the year. Just tell us EZ, what is the next thing this government will hit us with?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, Cindy is certainly a smooth talker - but here is more: she promised 2019 will be the year for Labour to deliver.

And hey - she started already: unemployment rate 4,3 % up from 3.9 % in Q3 - miimum wage policies start to bite;

https://tradingeconomics.com/new-zea...mployment-rate

Anybody paid Road user charges recently? They are now (for a light vehicle) close to 7 c per liter - as high as never before ... but hey, unemployed people don't need to drive that much - good thinking!

Looking forward to the rest of the year. Just tell us EZ, what is the next thing this government will hit us with?
    I'm not going to apologize for high fuel taxes. We all need to think long and hard about using heat engines at max 25% efficiency, using fossil fuels. Did you see the news tonight? (Climate change). Maybe more of us should ride a bike or e-bike to work. In smaller towns, that's quite sensible. Our kids should be walking or biking to school as well, where possible and if no buses available. Terrible traffic noted whenever school starts up again.

Do you think recent minimum wage increases have added to the unemployment level? More likely a general cooling of the economy, and no govt can easily fix that. Besides, National kicked off a big boom in immigration, so part of it is that we now have a bigger population.

KiwiBuild will kick off, read up on it and see that the govt is working hard on talking to about 44 off-site housing providers, will be getting quotes soon no doubt.

I'm not going to apologize for high fuel taxes. We all need to think long and hard about using heat engines at max 25% efficiency, using fossil fuels. Did you see the news tonight? (Climate change). Maybe more of us should ride a bike or e-bike to work. In smaller towns, that's quite sensible. Our kids should be walking or biking to school as well, where possible and if no buses available. Terrible traffic noted whenever school starts up again. .
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what jot of difference anything NZ does that will make even a slight difference to a changing climate.

Jeez and now we have unemployment up and job opportunities down. Thats useless at getting people out of poverdy. She useless at Kiwibuild, useless tree planting, useless transparency. She cant even produce a healthy breakfast at Waitangi, bother to do any of her speech in te reo and muffed the patsy Treaty question

Legend

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what jot of difference anything NZ does that will make even a slight difference to a changing climate.

Jeez and now we have unemployment up and job opportunities down. Thats useless at getting people out of poverdy. She useless at Kiwibuild, useless tree planting, useless transparency. She cant even produce a healthy breakfast at Waitangi, bother to do any of her speech in te reo and muffed the patsy Treaty question
    Here's a few ideas on what individuals and families can do about climate change.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...big-difference

Enough pressure on politicians and they'll have to take it all into account in their lawmaking and policies. Before you know it, other countries could be looking at the example NZ sets. I really hope the coalition makes some changes in this direction. I certainly made sure our new List MP had plenty of info on possible runaway events like massive methane emissions from the East Siberian Arctic Shelf. Google it, if you want a real-world frightening experience.

From the PM's speech today:
    Building a sustainable economy
    In addition to skills, the Government will use 2019 to contend with bigger, longer-term trends that will have a transformational affect on our economy.
    As I have said before, climate change is the defining issue of my generation.
    We know that we all have to adapt now to avoid catastrophe for the generations to come.
    We have a plan for a just transition to a low-emissions economy based on a more sustainable growth model. We want to ensure that this transition is phased and signalled early to give businesses and workers certainty and flexibility.
    The Government will soon announce plans for legislation to establish an enduring institutional framework for managing the long-term transition to a low-emissions economy.
    This legislation will contain legally binding emissions’ reduction targets and it will see the establishment of an independent Climate Change Commission, which will recommend emissions reduction budgets and provide advice on policy development and initiatives in transport, energy and primary industries.
    The Government’s Just Transition work programme will assist New Zealand to successfully transition to a low-emissions economy.
    The work programme includes looking at energy, regional economic development and workforce planning. It has a strong connection to education and skills development to create new jobs.
    A Just Transition Summit in May this year will kick-start a national conversation about what the Just Transition means for New Zealand.
    But it won’t just be a local conversation. We will be testing ideas that the world is interested in too. The conversations I had in bilateral meetings and conferences increasingly demonstrated to me that the world is not only looking for ideas, it is hunting for them. And New Zealand is on its list.
    We recently announced a $100 million capital injection to New Zealand Green Investment Finance Ltd to stimulate new private sector investment in low-emissions industries. More and more investment dollars globally are looking for clean, sustainable ventures to invest in.
    New Zealand Green Investment Finance Ltd positions New Zealand to attract its share of that investment capital, and will provide businesses with a pathway to being part of efforts to confront the greatest challenge facing the planet.
    Last edited by elZorro; 08-02-2019 at 07:15 PM.

I'm not going to apologize for high fuel taxes. We all need to think long and hard about using heat engines at max 25% efficiency, using fossil fuels. Did you see the news tonight? (Climate change). Maybe more of us should ride a bike or e-bike to work. In smaller towns, that's quite sensible. Our kids should be walking or biking to school as well, where possible and if no buses available. Terrible traffic noted whenever school starts up again.
    Pretty inconsiderate comment. City dweller without a clue how life is in the countryside where the people live who's work allows you to enjoy your latte ...?

We do live in the country and most people around here need to drive into the next township (12km), community town (20 km) or city (40 km) for work, to get to the doctor, to see the council, for shopping or even to get to WINZ appointments. They need a car to pick up children after school events.

There used to be no public transport at all - at current there is one bus in the morning and one in the evening going though the township - and it might not bring you to where you want to go.

Even the next kindy is 12 km away - do you expect 4 year olds to drive with a bicycle down the highway to get there?

And we don't even live particularly isolated - many others are worse off. Does Labour really want everybody to move to South Auckland to have the WINZ office and public transport directly in front of the house door and to increase the number of unemployed people?

Cindy's tax hikes do bite around here - and they bite ordinary people. But hey - why should a Labour supporter care for ordinary people, particularly if they live in the country side? Just drink another latte in the cafe around the corner and discuss how you can still increase the pain and sufferering of the rural communities. Just cash cows living there - isn't it?

I guess there must be a reason most people around here vote National. They understand real life.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)