• Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Threaded View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    My point is that the household residence isn't such a great investment, on paper. Running a business or property investment portfolio does allow some tax benefits along the way. But I certainly agree that a business has a harder road to success, and wouldn't want to see the marginal tax rate on that gain, unless it was at some quite high threshold, and/or generated over a short time, as Labour proposed years ago.
    I disagree in relation to the principal household residence. It is a great investment. Your annual benefit is tax free. By investing in the house it means that you do not have to pay rent out of tax-paid income. You can obtain a mortgage to leverage capital gain or obtain a retirement capital release at reasonable rates, the funds from which enable your purchase of other assets if you want. If there is a CGT and the principal home is exempt, that would be an extra benefit.

Also with asset testing for long-term care, the owner-occupied main home is exempt if there is a spouse not in care. That could mean a substantial nest egg available for the surviving spouse, which may not be available if the couple had invested in financial assets, shares or a business instead and which would not have been exempted from asset testing.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 11-03-2019 at 09:15 PM.