sharetrader
Page 241 of 697 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241242243244245251291341 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 6963

Coalition Government minister Andrew Little is currently considering introducing a hate speech law

This brings to mind Mark Twain's famous quote;

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Here is my updated version;

"It is better for the government to order racists to keep their mouths closed and be thought of as fools than it is for the government to permit them to open their mouths and remove all doubt."

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Coalition Government minister Andrew Little is currently considering introducing a hate speech law

This brings to mind Mark Twain's famous quote;

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Here is my updated version;

"It is better for the government to order racists to keep their mouths closed and be thought of as fools than it is for the government to permit them to open their mouths and remove all doubt."

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    It is better for government to to keep its sticky beak out of speech - unless that speech wishes plausible harm onto others.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    It is better for government to to keep its sticky beak out of speech - unless that speech wishes plausible harm onto others.
    I think this is exactly the purpose of a hate speech law.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I think this is exactly the purpose of a hate speech law.
    I think you are very wrong on this. I think the govt wants to further the scope of the laws. It will cause certain speech that attacks ideas rather than people to be classified as hate speech. That is a dangerous slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I think you are very wrong on this. I think the govt wants to further the scope of the laws. It will cause certain speech that attacks ideas rather than people to be classified as hate speech. That is a dangerous slippery slope.
    An example is the PM weighing in with an opinion on Israel Foluas' latest tweet. That wasn't even close to hate speech and certainly not worth any kind of PM comment - unless its a clue on the kind of threshold they would like. (though I have noticed her silence of Hone Hawaweras "White Boys" comments - hypocrisy knows no bounds)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    An example is the PM weighing in with an opinion on Israel Foluas' latest tweet. That wasn't even close to hate speech and certainly not worth any kind of PM comment -
    My thoughts exactly. He appears to have breached his contract with Rugby Australia; not one word of 'hate speech in it and nothing to do with our P.M. , or even the Aussie P.M.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    No doubt you're pleased with it. Looks like Labour are in for a good run, at least until Nats find a leader. Neither Bridges or Collins will ever make P.M. Now if Taxcinda just gets her heavy boots on and gets rid of some deadwood, starting with the goofy Twyford, they might do a half-pie decent job; although I'm not holding my breath.
    Twyford must be good in other areas than fronting TV.

Regarding bridges and Collins, maybe some shuffling is due on the opposition benches.
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...n-bridges.html

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post

Regarding bridges and Collins, maybe some shuffling is due on the opposition benches.
    They just need to settle.

There is no point getting agitated over the latest poll results. They are an outlier result which will be heavily weighted by Aderns action on the Christchurch shootings. Now that opportunity is passing look fro future poll results if this is what is being relied upon.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Twyford must be good in other areas than fronting TV.

Twyford is no good in any area - and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Twyford is no good in any area - and you know it.
    True, but he is still Labours best man ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)