sharetrader

Hybrid View

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    I've looked into the FIF / FDR and it gets really complicated if you hold mixed assets in the portfolio. Such as some Australian shares are exempted from FIF. There's currency exchange rate to factor. To add more complexities, how about 'quick sales' for buying and or selling more than once in the same year? Above all, it's part of the tax compliance for filing.

https://www.ird.govt.nz/toii/fif/cal...-choosing.html

Look at page 19 here for quick sale calculations:
    https://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/5/...2f11/ir461.pdf

and check out the flow chart on page 6:

vs: the guy that owns the house can easily pay a property manager. That's what i've seen most have done to muscle out the undesirable tenants. This would suit easily for any pensioner or retired person that seeks to enjoy vacations abroad, etc. without the hassles. I've also met many seniors that insist on living in their home and renting out a room as "home stays" which again, the income is tax free.

Now if I was living back in Canada. (Reply.. Cough... Cough ) .. Don't take my word for it. Countless of elderly people have told me the past where so and so have lost so much $ in past NZ stock market crashes or some finance company or corporate has fleeced
    We know.... OK ?.

The very good question was not asking for history...

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    We know.... OK ?.

The very good question was not asking for history...
    Excuse my overstatement on FIF in my last post. There's good reason why people in NZ are obsessed with real estate and I can see why. It's because that asset class can be tax free.

Sorry for the repetition but I haven't found a direct answer so I question again, why is there a huge dividend focus by many financial advisors without the concern on "BOOK VALUE" ? It's a basic fundamental approach. You simply don't get a rise in share price if the company continues to pay dividends each year, which erodes the retained earnings on the balance sheet 'book value / share'. The logical choice is to have a tax free capital gain (by maintaining profits in the company which raises the book value per share) vs a tax triggered dividend payment. The obsession of dividend payment in NZ has shown listed companies to promote a 'dividend payment policy' while at the same time, the company borrows more $ for capital expansion, or even worse, issues more shares (a la The Warehouse style). So i'm not being a negative nanny, I just question why the obsessions of dividends on NZ share investments?

Perhaps i'm pointing out something too obvious in that NZ real estate is so much easier to retire on than any other asset class?