sharetrader

Threaded View

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I doubt if Hisco is paying as much as you say. He just isn't that silly.
    How fair is it when someone earning 50k pays around 16%: 100k pays around 24% tax, and someone on 200k pays around 28%? And don't spit out that rubbish 'cos they can afford it'. Of course they probably can, but that does not make it 'fair' any more than charging twice as much for a pair of shoelaces 'because they can afford it'. And before you attack me with claims of greed etc, take note that I am not complaining. I am merely disturbed when a 'progressive system' is called a 'fair system', which is simply a misnomer. It's the abuse of the language that flies fair up my hooter.
    Don't get upset with me I didn't say it was fair. Those with more contribute more, who is to say if that's fair or not. It seems like common sense to me but I am not very bright.
    Is it fair that a large chunk of your wealth came from capital gains on property investment on which you paid no tax while poor old David Hisco pays tax on every dollar he earns from the sweat off his brow that doesn't sound fair to me but what do I know. Nothing is perfect but some ideas just seem better to me than others.
    Last edited by Aaron; 20-06-2019 at 06:39 PM.