sharetrader
Page 131 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 31811211271281291301311321331341351411812316311131 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 14170
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    ... while not compromising the long tail and revenue from ignorant customers who will persevere with outdated technologies and limited viewing choices as a consequence.
    I think the winning strategy here will be to do the right thing by all of their customers by pricing their products appropriately. Relying on a segment of your customer base to continue being gouged due to apathy or ignorance would further doom Sky from a brand perspective.

Sky TV is largely restricted in terms of how their channels are bundled, however the way these bundles are priced is completely in their control.

In addition to their ‘build your own’ packages they could create some pre-set bundles like Vodafone TV.
    Have an Entertainment package (starter, entertainment, movies + SOHO) for $39. 99

Sport package (starter + Sport) for $39.99

Sport Plus (starter + Sport + SOHO) for $45

Premium (starter + entertainment + movies + SOHO + Sport) for $60

No My Sky fee, and you can still add specialty channels like Star Plus, Bein Sports etc on top.

Clearly, I have just made these numbers up and Sky would have to work out what pricing points are viable. But setting prices around these levels would help reverse the declining subscription numbers, and improve Brand Perception.

And we all have to accept that the $100M+ profit days for Sky are over. Profits will be smaller in the future, as ARPU shrinks and content costs increase.

Shrinking ARPU is just fine so long as it is due to Sky adjusting prices down and lifting subscriptions.

Not what we have seen recently which is prices increase and customers heading for the door in droves.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 02-06-2019 at 10:17 AM.

To me SKY seems like one of the best value stocks on the NZX right now. Good dividends, a ridiculously low PE of 5 and a customer base of over 700k customers.

Sure they have been significantly disrupted but with a refreshed leadership team and still very strong sport rights I think they are reasonably placed to start making better decisions. They do have some good products - fanpass with lower pricing, neon with HBO content and SKY GO has been dramatically improved of late. Sky Movies has always been a weakness in my view - but when you're competing against the likes of streaming and Netflix it's never going to win a lot of customers.

Probably need to wait for the next report before I dip in, but in a very expensive market there is some logic to thinking about sky at this point imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    ...neon....
    Neon is a pile of shyte. We got it recently to binge watch a couple of programs, and we will not renew once we're done. I can see why they don't offer a free trial like everyone else. The user interface is terrible, the features are lacking, and it crashes at the end of most episodes. It is miles behind lightbox, and even further behind netflix.
    The only thing holding sky together is their (ever reducing) content. If competitors offered the SAME content, no body would willingly choose sky.
    What happens once Disney has their streaming service up, and they take back the rights to everything Disney, Pixar Marvel, Starwars, and 20th Century Fox? Does Sky lose all that content entirely, or do they face huge increase on purchasing the rights?
    Add to that increase pressure (ie increased content cost) from Spark Sport and decreasing subscriber base and the new CEO has a massive job ahead of him. If he can pull it off it will be the greatest success story ever.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    Neon is a pile of shyte... The user interface is terrible, the features are lacking, and it crashes at the end of most episodes. It is miles behind lightbox, and even further behind netflix.
    Can I ask how you are watching NEON? I used to try and watch it using the NEON app on an old SmartTV I had in the past, and it was absolute bollocks. Would crash on me regularly. If I paused a show to go and make a cup of tea, when I came back and hit play...it would play for 5 seconds and then crash.

However, when I started to chromecast from my iPhone all of my problems disappeared. It was much easier using my smartphone as a remote to search for content, and it reliably delivered a high quality stream. The smartphone app has a decent UI in my view. Still not as good as the Netflix UI in some areas....but I wouldn't personally describe it as a "pile of shyte".

There is no app for it on our TV so it's chromecast from either tablet or smartphone. Don't have any streaming or casting issues with any other service. Ironically the only issue we've ever had like this is with Fan Pass and again I'll never spend another cent on it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    There is no app for it on our TV so it's chromecast from either tablet or smartphone. Don't have any streaming or casting issues with any other service. Ironically the only issue we've ever had like this is with Fan Pass and again I'll never spend another cent on it.
    Hmmmn, completely inexplicable. I have cast both NEON and FANPASS and the service was flawless. I just recently used FANPASS to stream the Joshua v Ruiz fight and it was great.

Oh well, I guess Sky won't be looking forward to your custom in the future

Guru

SKY accelerates focus on streaming services

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/336549

There was an article in the Herald the other day (behind paywall) indicating a lot of change at SKY, but questioning if it was too late.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    SKY accelerates focus on streaming services

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/336549

There was an article in the Herald the other day (behind paywall) indicating a lot of change at SKY, but questioning if it was too late.
    Initially I thought the Cisco Infinite Video Platform and 'Puck' were good ideas. However, on reflection - I did start to think they would be best suited saving their money to upgrade their NEON and FANPASS apps. Let people bring their own devices - I mean, it has worked wonderfully for Netflix.

Other companies, like Apple, are providing set top box systems that will ultimately allow the aggregation of content from different platforms. Sky would be better to enhance NEON, and collaborate with Apple to ensure NEON behaves as a 'Channel' on AppleTV. That way customers are more likely to have premium Sky content surfaced to them alongside content from Netflix, Lightbox, Apple etc etc...

God only knows how much money has already been spent on the new set top boxes though! I am sure it is a scary number.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Initially I thought the Cisco Infinite Video Platform and 'Puck' were good ideas. However, on reflection - I did start to think they would be best suited saving their money to upgrade their NEON and FANPASS apps. Let people bring their own devices - I mean, it has worked wonderfully for Netflix.

Other companies, like Apple, are providing set top box systems that will ultimately allow the aggregation of content from different platforms. Sky would be better to enhance NEON, and collaborate with Apple to ensure NEON behaves as a 'Channel' on AppleTV. That way customers are more likely to have premium Sky content surfaced to them alongside content from Netflix, Lightbox, Apple etc etc...

God only knows how much money has already been spent on the new set top boxes though! I am sure it is a scary number.
    NZ Herald article about dropping the puck - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12243553

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    NZ Herald article about dropping the puck - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12243553
    According to Stuff, the new Sport App will be brand new...and run in conjunction with FANPASS...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...of-puck-device

Bizarre if that is true. I would have thought they would just have one updated sport streaming app that has an On Demand focus.

I emailed Sky for clarification. If they don't reply I guess we will just have to wait until August to see how it all plays out.