sharetrader
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    This is not true. I am part of the generation you are talking about and all I see around myself are people who are unwilling to work hard, cut unnecessary expenses and sacrifice their comfort.

It is really easy in NZ to save for deposit, but you actually do have to be smart about it. If you choose either trade or STEM uni, you will have no problems getting well paid job. On 50k, I was able to save 20k a year, now that my salary increased, I didn't increase my expenses and therefore save even more. In 10 years, I'll have enough to retire if I want to.

On the other hand I see my colleagues with same or higher salaries actually live paycheck to paycheck due to stupid decisions like having 10 different netflix type subscriptions, drinking every weekend and buying new phones every 1-2 years. Not to mention using uber-eats and uber on regular basis. Ohh and cars...
    Wow great for you being able to live on $21,700 a year or $471pw .and be able to save retire and continue to live at these levels is quite a feat ... but I guess if you eat and house yourself cheap(campervan/Flat ? at home with the parents) and generally live very basically it would be well achievable
    Last edited by JBmurc; 22-11-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Wow great for you being able to live on $21,700 a year or $471pw .and be able to save retire and continue to live at these levels is quite a feat ... but I guess if you eat and house yourself cheap(campervan/Flat ? at home with the parents) and generally live very basically it would be well achievable

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel.../#12a35cbc6c4b

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    I do flat, yes. I cook pretty complex meals with mostly free range or organic food, have occasional drinks out with friends, go to gym, go to movies etc. I'd not call it living basically, more like not living wastefully.

I do come from post-soviet country, so I understand what it is growing up poor. I am also thankful my parents were able to teach me how to take care of myself.

Advanced Member

I do flat, yes. I cook pretty complex meals with mostly free range or organic food, have occasional drinks out with friends, go to gym, go to movies etc. I'd not call it living basically, more like not living wastefully.

I do come from post-soviet country, so I understand what it is growing up poor. I am also thankful my parents were able to teach me how to take care of myself.
    GREAT Posts. Can you post them somewhere somehow where all your peers will see them?
    Good luck.
    RTM

Guru

That is amazing if you are a young adult, can live like that while still being able to save and have sufficient funds to be able to retire in ten years' time and live off the income from your savings. You must have received a very big pay rise. Certainly in Auckland that would necessitate a retirement investment pot well into seven figures to provide a return and resources for potentially many decades of accommodation and retirement.

Being from a "Post Soviet" country does that mean you are used to little modern consumer technology, crowded flats and frugal living? The diet of organic food suggests an expensive non-Soviet style diet to me. A Soviet lifestyle suggests relying on public transport rather than a private car or taxis? That would save some money but would be difficult in Auckland let alone in many other parts of NZ.

If only Boomers and previous generations had developed NZ cities around affordable accommodation, public transport and if only they had developed food production on free range and organic principles, do you think NZ would already be in a better place?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 23-11-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Advanced Member

There are affordable rental options if renters choose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    That is amazing if you are a young adult, can live like that while still being able to save and have sufficient funds to be able to retire in ten years' time and live off the income from your savings. You must have received a very big pay rise. Certainly in Auckland that would necessitate a retirement investment pot well into seven figures to provide a return and resources for potentially many decades of accommodation and retirement.

Being from a "Post Soviet" country does that mean you are used to little modern consumer technology, crowded flats and frugal living? The diet of organic food suggests an expensive non-Soviet style diet to me. A Soviet lifestyle suggests relying on public transport rather than a private car or taxis? That would save some money but would be difficult in Auckland let alone in many other parts of NZ.

If only Boomers and previous generations had developed NZ cities around affordable accommodation, public transport and if only they had developed food production on free range and organic principles, do you think NZ would already be in a better place?
    I do make a good salary, but still short of 6 figures. I work in IT with no uni education. I rent a 4 bedroom house in North shore where I live with my partner and another couple. And I bus to work, as it makes sense both financially and time wise, I don't have to stress in traffic and can relax while listening to audio book or watching some sharetrading video .

I said, I'll have enough to retire in case I want to, not that I will. In that case, I'd bugger off Auckland. I think 700-800k is enough to theoretically retire on somewhere outside of Auckland. I also expect, I'll move up at my job and will be able to save even more in another 3-5 years.

Style of living out of post-soviet country would be more of a grow your own veggies, breed animals, cook at home, repair everything yourself. I think big difference between west and east is, that westerners are used to other people doing stuff for them. Easterners usually don't have money to pay for services, so they do it by them selfs. Organic style foods is just a life style we chose to do, we are not strict about it, but we do try to buy quality food etc.

I agree public transport is not great in Auckland, but I'd argue the problem is in the style of the city. Auckland should start building apartment buildings, city this size cant afford to build suburbia forever. Say proposed light rail... it makes 0 sense in Auckland, because light rail is useful for high density population. What is a way to go in my opinion is to build public transport hubs across the city, build huge parkings there. People would only drive there and then continued on bus/train/ferry. Then do connections between these hubs and you can practically get anywhere in the city using public transport. In addition you could do commerce centers around these hubs. The CRL in CBD is a great first step to this.

Boomers could not anticipate the migration waves coming to NZ and with limited resources of 4-5 million people I think NZ infrastructure is not so bad. Problem is, there is nobody in politics now who would be willing to actually fight for the projects necessary. Everyone is just playing it safe and nothing is happening.

Guru

To retire on 800k? Maybe if you have a mortgage free house as well.

Do-it-yourself services? It sometimes becomes more expensive when a pro is needed to repair the amateur botch ups. The garage drill makes a mess of filling dental cavities!

If Auckland were like Budapest or London it would be easier to be within walking distance of a bus route or train. Lots of migrants originally came here because Auckland was not like London or Budapest though! Good luck with encouraging landowners or taxpayers to cough up the necessary dough to fund big strategic public transport hubs and other infrastructure...

Who oversaw the migration policies and the lack of infrastructure planning to cater for the resultant population increase? Indeed who benefited most from the demand for housing and constricted supply of new housing as a result of this state of affairs?

Why Are Kiwi Houses So Expensive? Video From Stuff..
    https://play.stuff.co.nz/details/_6091048203001
    Last edited by Bjauck; 23-11-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

That article is pure and simple click bait from Stuff.
    A screaming inaccurate headline on a Hot button issue.
    The Landord with a dozen properties was well experienced and his two 2017 tribunal cases ended with sizeable payouts for himself. He admitted he stopped regularly inspections and with his portfolio of properties, why didn't he get an agent in to help?
    He claimed there were $25,000 in damages yet he applied only for $5040. Why only claim that if his recent cases gave him sizeable payouts?

He did not just get $50 he got the bond as well. The article is click bait. An accurate headline would not have drawn in as many clicks.