sharetrader
Page 26 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Guru

Just because alcohol is legal, doesn't mean weed should be. Weed may or may not be worse than alcohol, doesn't mean it isn't harmful to some degree and don't think we need more harmful stuff out there.

Alcohol is historic, the drug of choice for generations, and ingrained in society. Shown a slow road to change attitudes and behaviours (but believe it is slowly happening in younger generations, boomers not so much)

Medicinal cannabis another complete kettle of fish IMO.

You are missing the point Bob, the weed is already out there and anybody who wants it will get it. You'll not increase harm in any way.

What is the point of criminalizing it?

Seems to me you're the type of person who would ban a fun activity just because there is a moron who doesn't follow instructions and get himself killed. The Nany state full on.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    Wow that hasn't been my experience ... while I was a student I was in charge of a rental ... unfortunately rented out a room to a couple who turned out to be pot-heads ... they had no motivation in life, had social welfare worked out (as long as they went to 1 x councelling session per week they would get their mental health benefit), and spent everything they had on weed.

Unfortunately things got worse and worse until they didn't pay rent ... one day I came home to find out they had been using bedside tables as ash-trays, bed soaked with urine, carpets and curtains ruined ... awesome ...

I'll never trust a pot-head ... we don't need this legalised in NZ.
    "They had no motivation in life" there in lies the problem. Idle minds run down ones self esteem and confidence, self worth. Escapism, denial, unloved maybe. A core belief of "im useless""im unlovable" etcetc, false beliefs of course. Depression highly likely. Sounds like alcohol was involved too when you mention the urination. Was the pot CBD or weak or potent? How many times a day did they smoke , drink. Sometimes just listening and reflecting back to people can help people to help themselves out of a hole. Antidepressants can work for some. But blaming cannabis or alcohol or P or heroin for someones underlying illness's, mental health issues etc is pretty ignorant imo. You had a job to manage a rental, tough being a student yourself and having to take on that responsibility dealing with unreliable tenants thats for sure. No room for empathy there or much life experience to use .

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    Wow that hasn't been my experience ... while I was a student I was in charge of a rental ... unfortunately rented out a room to a couple who turned out to be pot-heads ... they had no motivation in life, had social welfare worked out (as long as they went to 1 x councelling session per week they would get their mental health benefit), and spent everything they had on weed.

Unfortunately things got worse and worse until they didn't pay rent ... one day I came home to find out they had been using bedside tables as ash-trays, bed soaked with urine, carpets and curtains ruined ... awesome ...

I'll never trust a pot-head ... we don't need this legalised in NZ.
    lmao, and how is that an issue with marijuana? have you ever thought the issue was the person and not marijuana? I know people who have smoked/smoke marijuana and are doing absolutely fine, some are even CEOs.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    You are missing the point Bob, the weed is already out there and anybody who wants it will get it. You'll not increase harm in any way.

What is the point of criminalizing it?

Seems to me you're the type of person who would ban a fun activity just because there is a moron who doesn't follow instructions and get himself killed. The Nany state full on.
    Correct it is out there - but will more people take it up because it is legal? Likely yes. So just because haven't controlled it then we should legalise it? So is meth and cocaine and ecstasy "out there"? Should we legalise them?
    End of the day, is it harmful? And if so why would we want to legalise something (else) that is harmful. Realise smoking, drinking and plenty of other things are harmful and legal.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/11/191113153049.htm

Also Peetter, you don't know me at all or my experiences. Don't jump to conclusions about me from one post, wanting to ban "fun" activities, or trying to cast me as the fun police. Play the ball not the man.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    "They had no motivation in life" there in lies the problem. Idle minds run down ones self esteem and confidence, self worth. Escapism, denial, unloved maybe. A core belief of "im useless""im unlovable" etcetc, false beliefs of course. Depression highly likely. Sounds like alcohol was involved too when you mention the urination. Was the pot CBD or weak or potent? How many times a day did they smoke , drink. Sometimes just listening and reflecting back to people can help people to help themselves out of a hole. Antidepressants can work for some. But blaming cannabis or alcohol or P or heroin for someones underlying illness's, mental health issues etc is pretty ignorant imo. You had a job to manage a rental, tough being a student yourself and having to take on that responsibility dealing with unreliable tenants thats for sure. No room for empathy there or much life experience to use .
    Both marijuana and alcohol exacerbate mental health problems. NZ society has problems with both substances.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Correct it is out there - but will more people take it up because it is legal? Likely yes. So just because haven't controlled it then we should legalise it? So is meth and cocaine and ecstasy "out there"? Should we legalise them?
    End of the day, is it harmful? And if so why would we want to legalise something (else) that is harmful. Realise smoking, drinking and plenty of other things are harmful and legal.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/11/191113153049.htm

Also Peetter, you don't know me at all or my experiences. Don't jump to conclusions about me from one post, wanting to ban "fun" activities, or trying to cast me as the fun police. Play the ball not the man.
    how many of your friends from school who tried weed ( maybe even you ) went on to be addicts or to harder stuff. i dont recall many of mine becoming either potheads or alcoholics. so more people might try it but its highly unlikely the majority become addicts
    one step ahead of the herd

IMO

Salt is poisonous.Many many things are if taken in excess.Alcohol and tobacco amongts the worst.Alcohol in many promotes violence, marijuana is a peaceful herb. I havnt cited any evidence that cannabis is addictive, i think its way down there on a low threshold but sure if one smoked it all day , like a joint very 30 mins it cant be that good for oneself. Ive never met anyone doing that btw, cant imagine it having a recreational effect.

I dont support hard drugs whatsoever .Meth and cocaine and heroin are addictive for some .Interesting that studies have shown people who have had trauma in their lives , especially when young get addicted whereas many recreational users who havnt had drauma dont, interesting ehh!
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 28-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Veteran novice

I havnt cited any evidence that cannabis is addictive,
    Is that "cited" or "sighted"? There's a vast difference in meaning!

Heaven help any of your family members or friends, who have the misfortune to experience mental health issues at any point in their life. Depression and other mental health issues are not life choices. They are illnesses and nobody chooses them. Your ridiculous statement(s) below show just how ignorant and uninformed you are.

Sometimes I wonder if that weed you smoke has seriously addled your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post