sharetrader
Page 300 of 697 FirstFirst ... 200250290296297298299300301302303304310350400 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 6963
    Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    One of Labour's bedfellows is openly exploring the process of Citizen's Assemblies. It is a Marxist idea and incredibly dangerous to our democracy.
    Which part of the above is fakery? Which part is fear mongering? You are continually telling people to open their minds, yet I consider you to be among the more bigoted people on this thread.
    For my sins, I have had to read more Marx than is good for me, but I don't recall coming across the Citizen Assembly concept.

However, putting that aside, could you possibly expand on how a Citizens Assembly would be incredibly dangerous to democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    For my sins, I have had to read more Marx than is good for me, but I don't recall coming across the Citizen Assembly concept.

However, putting that aside, could you possibly expand on how a Citizens Assembly would be incredibly dangerous to democracy?
    I don't think jonu's posts related to Citizens Assembly compute ... (s)he clearly does not know what (s)he is talking about ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_assembly

The citizens assembly actually has its roots in the ancient Greek democracies - and I have not heard about any "marxist"government applying this approach.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 04-12-2019 at 07:40 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I don't think jonu's posts related to Citizens Assembly compute ... (s)he clearly does not know what (s)he is talking about ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_assembly

The citizens assembly actually has its roots in the ancient Greek democracies - and I have not heard about any "marxist"government applying this approach.
    Really now BP.

An unelected bunch of people developing policy for the rest of us. Doesn't sound Marxist to you? What need would we have for an elected parliament? You know that thing where we get to scutinise their policies and experience before we vote for them.

A Marxist government runs absolutely on this system. They just go under a different name. As said earlier...The People's Party of ....(insert state).
    And by the way, you won't hear anything much from a Marxist government, other than the party line. Which is why I said the Climate Change hysteria is a perfect fit. Don't argue....this is how it is...this is what you need.

Have you not wondered why it is that the Greens are to the Left in politics? Why have they pledged they couldn't govern with National? Why are they not in the middle? Why is the environment a left/right issue? I hope the new Green movement gains some traction this election.

Really now BP.

An unelected bunch of people developing policy for the rest of us. Doesn't sound Marxist to you? What need would we have for an elected parliament? You know that thing where we get to scutinise their policies and experience before we vote for them.

A Marxist government runs absolutely on this system. They just go under a different name. As said earlier...The People's Party of ....(insert state).
    And by the way, you won't hear anything much from a Marxist government, other than the party line. Which is why I said the Climate Change hysteria is a perfect fit. Don't argue....this is how it is...this is what you need.

Have you not wondered why it is that the Greens are to the Left in politics? Why have they pledged they couldn't govern with National? Why are they not in the middle? Why is the environment a left/right issue? I hope the new Green movement gains some traction this election.
    You seem to follow Joseph Goebbels famous advise: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." Trump and Johnson follow the same strategy. All of them are (or in Goebbels case have been) crooks but none of them is Marxist.

Get your facts right.
    ----

Guru

You seem to follow Joseph Goebbels famous advise: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." Trump and Johnson follow the same strategy. All of them are (or in Goebbels case have been) crooks but none of them is Marxist.

Get your facts right.
    I'm telling lies BP? Is that what holding a contrary opinion to yourself is?

I'm telling lies BP? Is that what holding a contrary opinion to yourself is?
    Rubbish - your opinion is unfortunately inconsistent with the facts.
    ----

Guru

Rubbish - your opinion is unfortunately inconsistent with the facts.
    Oh contrair...I beg to differ. Your stern countenance and bulshyism is however an affront to my delicate sensibilities. Such intolerance of an alternative view is clearly averse to the diversity and inclusiveness that Citizens Assemblies would seek to represent, but perversely, be the very thing they would destroy. That's how Marxism works. And if you don't believe them facts I suggest looking at the history of the Soviet Union and the ongoing travesty that is China.

Really now BP.

You seem to be a follower of the USA republican line. Any system even marginally left of centre right must be be brought to it’s knees. Any system which could, even remotely, reduce the promotion of capitalism must be opposed. A policy which has caused nothing but trouble around the world. Keep looking for reds under the bed. You might even find one
    Ever wondered why climate change deniers seem to favour the right?

westerly

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    You seem to be a follower of the USA republican line. Any system even marginally left of centre right must be be brought to it’s knees. Any system which could, even remotely, reduce the promotion of capitalism must be opposed. A policy which has caused nothing but trouble around the world. Keep looking for reds under the bed. You might even find one
    Ever wondered why climate change deniers seem to favour the right?

westerly
    What is a Climate Change Denier? And who invented the term?

I can assure you I am not a fan of the US Republicans. I just find it unnecessary to overlay a Citizens Assembly on top of our electoral system.

Why on earth would we want a random sample of the population formulating policy? For a start polling requires 1000s to be getting a representative sample. 100 or so could easily lead to outliers in any direction. A group of that size could also be easily dominated by a dedicated, capable few. I wonder if the Greens would be so keen if the Citizens Assembly came up with an abortion ban? Or policy to build nuclear power plants to cope with EVs?

Veteran novice

Am I the only one getting tired of this "exchange of views"? It seems to have strayed a long way from the title of the thread.