sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

This is pissing off many of AIR’s more valuable loyal customers- Air NZ have just announced significant price increases for Elite Airpoints Dollar upgrades from February 2020

General comment is that AIR Business Class offering us pretty crap relative to competitors and it’s not going to be fixed for another 2 to 3 years

Many are following Raz and using other airlines instead of AIR for most of their international stuff.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Dilettante

Do you have a link winner ? Yes this will piss business class travelers off even more. Air NZ in my view is running a pretty risky game here as their BC offerings are not that competitive anymore, neither price nor service

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Do you have a link winner ? Yes this will piss business class travelers off even more. Air NZ in my view is running a pretty risky game here as their BC offerings are not that competitive anymore, neither price nor service
    https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/elit...-upgrade-chart

Wow 480 to 890 on some sectors

Fortunately my days of overseas business travel are over but from what old mates and comments on travel blogs it does seem that AIR BC is relatively pretty poor as you say.
    Last edited by winner69; 15-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Dilettante

Thanks winner. This will pi.. off lots of their most loyal and highest spending customers

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Thanks winner. This will pi.. off lots of their most loyal and highest spending customers
    And no doubt their superior CX and customer data analytics will say impact goodwill wise will be minimal ...and the accountants will counting the extra zillions.

I went onto AIR's website just as an ordinary shareholder Joe Bloggs and picked a random day next month to fly to Vancouver on 23 January and come back a week later.
    One way prices were $849 economy, $2204 premium economy and $5804 business.
    As a part owner of the airline I would have to ante up $1,355 extra to upgrade from economy to premium economy, (just 220 airpoints if I was elite status), or $3,600 of my cold hard cash to upgrade from premium economy to business (480 airpoints I probably got for nothing if I was elite status).

Why the heck are people complaining when they probably have these airpoints for nothing and I would have to pay mega bucks to upgrade a class despite actually owning part of the airline ?

Are Elite status flyers actually the owners of the airline ? How on earth could anyone complain the upgrade airpoints prices are unreasonable ?
    Honestly...cry me a river....
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-12-2019 at 08:05 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I went onto AIR's website just as an ordinary shareholder Joe Bloggs and picked a random day next month to fly to Vancouver on 23 January and come back a week later.
    As a part owner of the airline I would have to ante up $1,355 extra to upgrade from economy to premium economy, (just 220 airpoints if I was elite status), or $3,600 of my cold hard cash to upgrade from premium economy to business (480 airpoints I probably got for nothing if I was elite status).

Why the heck are people complaining when they probably have these airpoints for nothing and I would have to pay mega bucks to upgrade a class despite actually owning part of the airline ?

Are Elite status flyers actually the owners of the airline ? How on earth could anyone complain the upgrade airpoints prices are unreasonable ?
    Honestly...cry me a river....
    Totally agree Beagle. I'm an Elite flyer and a shareholder and support my airline whenever I can. Elite upgrades paid for with Airpoints are an excellent perk and can even be confirmed almost a year in advance depending on availability.

I had a look at the changes to the upgrade rates and while some have increased, others have reduced. The main increases are on flights to the US particularly the really long hauls to Houston, Chicago and New York.

Nothing to get excited about either way and I doubt many or any Elite flyers will be very emotional about the changes or alter their flying habits.

Thanks pierre for your balanced perspective, appreciated.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

[QUOTE=Beagle;782146]I went onto AIR's website just as an ordinary shareholder Joe Bloggs and picked a random day next month to fly to Vancouver on 23 January and come back a week later.

Honestly...cry me a river....:”

Beagle this debate isn’t just about fairly minor changes to Airpoints. You and AIR can ignore the fact that AIR needs to provide a competitive package, i.e. prices, service, schedules, change fees and other benefits, if they want frequent fliers to choose them.

Like Pierre, I would like to fly AIR when possible and justifiable.

Some other frequent fliers on this site have claimed they never fly AIR anymore, simply because they get more bang for their buck using other airlines. Should this not be a concern to the "owners" ? It certainly concerns me as one of them.
    Last edited by iceman; 16-12-2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Addition

iceman

Beagle this debate isn’t just about fairly minor changes to Airpoints. You and AIR can ignore the fact that AIR needs to provide a competitive package, i.e. prices, service, schedules, change fees and other benefits, if they want frequent fliers to choose them.

Like Pierre, I would like to fly AIR when possible and justifiable.

Some other frequent fliers on this site have claimed they never fly AIR anymore, simply because they get more bang for their buck using other airlines. Should this not be a concern to the "owners" ? It certainly concerns me as one of them.
    That is the crux of the matter

Seems management and some ‘owners’ have their rose tinted glasses on as well as earplugs and not listening to their customers. The last full