sharetrader

Threaded View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    I'm quite sure you know the answer why. I've never been happy with the whole idea of dividend payments and with inputation credits because the more efficient method from a tax point of view is to keep the funds in retained earnings / shareholder's equity and let the share price reflect that. Therefore generation a tax free capital gain. Just allow the shareholder to elect any disbursements of payment by simply selling a portion of their share holding. This creates liquidity on the NZX (for which the reality being, the liquidity is drying up on the NZX)..
    I think I may not have made my point clear in my response to another poster. Namely: Much of NZ business is now actually in foreign ownership. So, owning foreign shares may actually be a way to invest in those companies who own NZ businesses now.

However in relation to imputed dividends I disagree. It gives a tax-neutral flexibility for companies to either retain or distribute tax paid profit. Attaching imputation credits means that the shareholder is not then in effect double-taxed on the company profit. If the tax paid profit were kept in the company, then the only way for a shareholder (who relies on an income stream from investments) would be to sell shares thereby incurring transaction costs.

Other countries have investment schemes with discounted tax rates on dividends and/or a tax threshold before dividend income is taxed. Certainly until NZ introduces such schemes, imputation at least tries to address double taxation on the income from NZ shares.

A few years old:
    https://www.interest.co.nz/business/...reholders-says
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-12-2019 at 09:07 AM.