sharetrader
Page 340 of 697 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340341342343344350390440 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 6963
    Guru

Interesting list of donors to NZF slush fund. No surprise that Peters put in the veto of a CGT..

"Despite gathering financial support from New Zealand's lofty elite, NZ First maintains it is the party dedicated to meeting the needs of working-class Kiwis."
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/119704872/billionaires-among-the-full-list-of-donors-supporting-nz-first

I would have thought that claim was long gone. NZF seems to be a party of asset and property owners and retired people with assets. It is not interested in alleviating the burden of taxation from income tax and GST.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 27-02-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Interesting list of donors to NZF slush fund. No surprise that Peters put in the veto of a CGT..

"Despite gathering financial support from New Zealand's lofty elite, NZ First maintains it is the party dedicated to meeting the needs of working-class Kiwis."
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/119704872/billionaires-among-the-full-list-of-donors-supporting-nz-first

I would have thought that claim was long gone. NZF seems to be a party of asset and property owners and retired people with assets. It is not interested in alleviating the burden of taxation from income tax and GST.
    This election is going to be rife with false claims and innuendo.Who donates to National?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    This election is going to be rife with false claims and innuendo.Who donates to National?
    I think you'll find plenty of wealthy people donate to Labour as well. Some even donate to both, or particular candidates from either side.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    NZ political action is underwritten and hampered by wealthy donors with vested interests? Time for public funding via an independent electoral body of political parties?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    NZ political action is underwritten and hampered by wealthy donors with vested interests? Time for public funding via an independent electoral body of political parties?
    This is clearly an alternative, but not sure it is really better. They do have this funding model in Germany (every party gets basically a certain amount of money from the taxpayer for every vote the got at the last election), but obviously it is unfair to any new party ... and it does not feel good to support through this system parties which clearly stand outside the democratic spectrum.

Personally - I think the most important thing is visibility ... and it clearly appears that that's what political parties fear most, otherwise they would not try to constantly muddy the waters.

Make it a requirement that any material party donations needs to be declared. Trusts, companies, funds and similar are not allowed to donate, only natural persons are. Get the list of party donors published before every election. Anybody trying to break or avoid this rule automatically disqualifies for public office.

Should not be too hard, shouldn't it?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 27-02-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    I think you'll find plenty of wealthy people donate to Labour as well. Some even donate to both, or particular candidates from either side.
    Big multinational company I used to work for donated equally to Labour and National every election - $10k each.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Big multinational company I used to work for donated equally to Labour and National every election - $10k each.
    It is very common for companies and businesses to donate equally to both main parties.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    It is very common for companies and businesses to donate equally to both main parties.
    This is true and in that case they have nothing to fear by it being published. I think where the media is going with this NZF stuff is that Winston is a hypocrite who always claims to be fighting for the average person (whoever they are) against the big end of town. The reality is that probably no party receives a higher proportion of donations from the big end of town than NZF which tries to disguise all of it., illegally it seems.

I'm impressed. Our PM Jacinda Ardern has finally shown she got some hidden balls too https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12312704

Yet another huge broken promise by grubby Cindy and her bunch of incompetnents - not so Green after all.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2020/03/0...servation-land

"In the past two years, more mining applications have been approved on conservation land than in the two years before the 2017 announcement there would be no new mines on conservation land. Twenty-one mining applications have been approved on conservation land since Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's speech promising there would be no more."

Cindy : "Let's NOT do this - keep our promises."