sharetrader
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I read a few articles at the end of last year trying to get people to put their kiwisaver into high growth finds investing rather than leaving it in conservative default funds. It is time to read the disclaimer post scripts now.
    Moved into conservative 4-5 months ago. Down little under 3% to date. Growth funds down 13%+.

No doubt values are supported by current FX rates and weakness in the NZD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd Crude View Post
    Oh can you fill us in please, what's happening?
    Is buffet fully invested?

.^sc
    Buffet is always secret on his purchases and acquisitions. The question I want to know is which Kiwi Saver funds had the patience to ACCUMULATE CASH to invest in this share market crash we're seeing now??? You will find out that's not how they operate. Your weekly pay a wee portion is deducted to Kiwi Saver and those funds directly buy the market. They don't operate how Buffet would do and they certainly can't broker deals in times of crisis. But they do know how to sell on you with their fancy investment prospectus. Have a look at Berkshire Hathaway's annual report... printing on plain paper. no fancy pictures, just words in black and white and the hard truth and the bad truth.

But the biggest loss with Kiwi Saver I would say is the NZD / USD exchange rate exposure (and that's if investors choose to invest abroad). This crash we're seeing now i'm quite certain a lot of NZ companies will go bust and will never come back. Some will take the NZ bail out $ and disappear. Always put things in perspective. NZ gov't today giving a $900 Million bail out to AirNZ. Work those figures out, for a population of 4.5M people... the NZ forestry industry has their hand out.. Fontera would be soon, the list goes on. NZ gov't simply does not have the fiscal funding like larger economies such as the USA.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

"This crash we're seeing now i'm quite certain a lot of NZ companies will go bust and will never come back"

The NZX website tells me that there are 181 instruments on the main board, 136 of them equities. Anybody game to make a guess on how many there'll be in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    "This crash we're seeing now i'm quite certain a lot of NZ companies will go bust and will never come back"

The NZX website tells me that there are 181 instruments on the main board, 136 of them equities. Anybody game to make a guess on how many there'll be in a year?
    The NZ Gov't says they "can't bail everyone out" so the more educated guess on who will still be around will depend on 'which ones' the NZ gov't will fund them.

Remember NZ is a 2 trick nation. 1) Natural resource extraction ie (agriculture, forestry, etc.) and 2) Tourism. If neither will come back next year, then we must ask, how much $ can the NZ gov't keep funding things? No wonder globally there's been a flee to the USD.

This quarter will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Man View Post
    This quarter will separate the wheat from the chaff.
    Won't matter because nothing has changed. The whole Kiwi Saver is a money making scheme for the gov't and for the managers that charge their fees.

The more compelling issue is how much will the NZ gov't put out to save businesses in NZ? When your neighbours around are losing their job and mortgages start going into default.. then we will see what's left.

Dilettante

Maybe not for this tread but I find this worrying. If Government is going to free up early access to withdrawals from Kiwisaver will Government contributions also be returned or paid back ? Where will this leave the integrity of the scheme ?

My understanding is that if the request is for general, everyday hardship, there will be a limit and it will be paid out as a weekly amount only to help with basic costs. If the request is for something else eg: funeral costs, health related, the rules will be different.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Maybe not for this tread but I find this worrying. If Government is going to free up early access to withdrawals from Kiwisaver will Government contributions also be returned or paid back ? Where will this leave the integrity of the scheme ?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You mean to allow the working class to cash into their Kiwi Saver without penalty? Could not pick a worse time to liquidate holdings so I don't think that's a wise choice. IMO, I find the whole Kiwi Saver scheme adequate to meet people's retirement savings. 3% minimum matching by employers to employees? We're talking really small sums here. Then we have the is NZ Superannuation problem of underfunding (well depending on which view). My fear is the NZ won't be able to fund everything (as we've seen with extra pay over gov't services strikes, doctors / nurses, IRD, teachers, list goes on. So if you take the ultra long multidecade view, my concern is the NZ gov't will look to more aggressive means of bringing in more taxation to meet such inefficiencies in gov't social programs. When I 1st arrived to NZ, GST was 10%, then to 12.5%, then to 15%. Entitlements will erode, and the slow gradual erosion of our standard of living as we see the NZD currency get weaker in the coming decades.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    My understanding is that if the request is for general, everyday hardship, there will be a limit and it will be paid out as a weekly amount only to help with basic costs. If the request is for something else eg: funeral costs, health related, the rules will be different.
    Yes that's what I mean. We have a reasonable social system that deals with hardship and low income. I don't think Kiwisaver should be used for this full stop.