Guru

Ooch.Overweight?
    Look out Pacific Islanders then around 50 %
    USA 36 %
    NZ 30 %
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...es-by-country/

The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    So much for travel of aircraft being safe...not that I think anyone actually ever believed that... 8 staff of AIR infected with the virus from LA and London route https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...cid=spartandhp
    Poor blighters, will be even worse if (when) they're made redundant.

International airlines would also be slow in returning capacity into Australia. “I'd be surprised that in the first two or three years out of this that the global airline market is 50 per cent of where it was last year," he says. And he says it will probably never fully recover unless there were structural changes, such as loosening ownership laws to allow for more mergers between airline groups.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...26-p54e65.html
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Not OTT mate. A lot of people on here were stating that aircraft had medical grade air filtration systems and as such they are safe but the truth is people are travelling in a very confined space breathing each others air and its quite obviously not safe. If this was not the case why would out Govt recommend all non essential domestic travel cease forthwith ?, (that was before the lockdown).
    I believe the core reason for domestic travel being banned is to minimise disparate groups of people mixing with each other - it actually doesn't matter whether people are driving between towns or flying, it's just the fact that people are increasing contact with each other and therefore increasing risk of transmission. The government didn't just ban domestic travel by plane, they banned all forms of it.

It's also hard to say how the eight Air NZ crew got infected - it might not have been due to any failing of hygiene systems on aircraft. It could have been from a hotel they stayed at or the taxi ride to/from the airport.
    Last edited by Airw0lf; 28-03-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    International airlines would also be slow in returning capacity into Australia. “I'd be surprised that in the first two or three years out of this that the global airline market is 50 per cent of where it was last year," he says. And he says it will probably never fully recover unless there were structural changes, such as loosening ownership laws to allow for more mergers between airline groups.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...26-p54e65.html
    That's a very grim demand prognosis and he could be right. I would have thought 60-75% of normal demand by 2022, only time will tell.
    With virtually no new bookings, Qantas and Virgin have tried to cut costs to preserve their remaining cash by sending home the bulk of the workforce, standing down 20,000 and 8000 workers respectively (or 70 per cent and 90 per cent of their employees). Interesting contrast to AIR's approach of up to a third of the workforce.
    AIR not being realistic or just happy to rely on the Govt who they know won't let them fail...
    Last edited by Beagle; 28-03-2020 at 07:38 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

My pennies worth airline capacity will be around 30% - 50% with pricing 60% - 100% higher..........NO payee No flyee

Cheap fares will be a thing of the past and not just airlines but every business will try to recover months of lost revenue .........

Guru

Not OTT mate. A lot of people on here were stating that aircraft had medical grade air filtration systems and as such they are safe but the truth is people are travelling in a very confined space breathing each others air and its quite obviously not safe. If this was not the case why would out Govt recommend all non essential domestic travel cease forthwith ?, (that was before the lockdown).
    But the virus is reported as not being airborne therefore no air conditioning system matters.

The repetition in all your posts rubbishing AIR makes one think your wife has run off with an AIR employee. You are have become totally boring.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Airw0lf View Post
    I believe the core reason for domestic travel being banned is to minimise disparate groups of people mixing with each other - it actually doesn't matter whether people are driving between towns or flying, it's just the fact that people are increasing contact with each other and therefore increasing risk of transmission. The government didn't just ban domestic travel by plane, they banned all forms of it.

It's also hard to say how the eight Air NZ crew got infected - it might not have been due to any failing of hygiene systems on aircraft. It could have been from a hotel they stayed at or the taxi ride to/from the airport.
    There are suggestions that up to 50 infected people are arriving into the country daily and they are not forced into quarantine. This is shocking while the population is told to stay in lockdown. Or as is pointed out in this article https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12320580 it is like the Government is "trying to empty the bathtub with a jug while the tap is still running "

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There are suggestions that up to 50 infected people are arriving into the country daily and they are not forced into quarantine. This is shocking while the population is told to stay in lockdown. "
    I don't subscribe to that rag, however surely once they have arrived, they are also subject to lockdown and staying within their own bubble? Or is the article suggesting they are free to roam and infect? Because lockdown pretty much is quarantine right? Or what am I missing?

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I don't subscribe to that rag, however surely once they have arrived, they are also subject to lockdown and staying within their own bubble? Or is the article suggesting they are free to roam and infect? Because lockdown pretty much is quarantine right? Or what am I missing?
    Firstly this has been going on for ages. They haven't even be doing simple stuff like checking temperatures or other symptoms of arrivals but started early doing so for departures to the pacific islands. Go figure.
    Lockdown relies on people following rules and as we've already seen in NZ, many people simply ignore it. Compulsory quarantine should be enforced.