sharetrader
Page 16 of 124 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

Maybe not good news for depositors but encouraging.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/120...rbnz-announces

Adrian may be making the dollars worthless with QE but at least our Aussie owners won't get NZ cash to bail themselves out ahead of NZers.

smart move for sure banks will have enough loan defaults to deal with and need to hold as much capital in reserve ...
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Maybe not good news for depositors but encouraging.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/120...rbnz-announces

Adrian may be making the dollars worthless with QE but at least our Aussie owners won't get NZ cash to bail themselves out ahead of NZers.
    Dividends not being paid forces more people to take pain so isn't really a good thing. It is however fair to be forced to make concessions if public money is being used to support the banks. Is it?
    Probably but Im not exactly clear on that, what with the state putting its noses so much into business its hard to know if you can fart without breaking a regulation.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Veteran novice

In the governor's case I suppose he considers that he's acting to protect the NZ banking and monetary system. As he is employed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    In the governor's case I suppose he considers that he's acting to protect the NZ banking and monetary system. As he is employed to do.
    well he needs to talk to Grant and get him to tell Jacinda shes ruining the economy and the lockdown needs to stop asap

the inequity of the outcomes for people is appalling.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Dividends not being paid forces more people to take pain so isn't really a good thing. It is however fair to be forced to make concessions if public money is being used to support the banks. Is it?
    Probably but Im not exactly clear on that, what with the state putting its noses so much into business its hard to know if you can fart without breaking a regulation.
    The taxpayers guaranteed the banks back in 2008/09 no one was bi*t*hing about government interfering in business back then. Not paying dividends forces the right people to take the pain, the business owners. Don't gamble with depositors money when you know tough times are ahead.
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-04-2020 at 02:12 PM.

in my opinion the govt is causing the pain, the RBNZ cannot fix it, but the govt can.

There is no evidence to support the lockdown.

Guru

in my opinion the govt is causing the pain, the RBNZ cannot fix it, but the govt can.

Well said. Totally agree with this sentiment.

Permanent Newbie

The entire world has shut down without a shred of evidence to support it? Possibly the results in countries such as Italy, Spain and now possibly the US would indicate some sort of evidence in support of the lock down?

Are we to assume just about the entire world leadership from China to the US to NZ have locked down everything on a whim without any evidence?

Or are you suggesting the cure may be worse than the disease or possibly you don't give a s**t about old people dying. You and blackcap might be right but we will never know as just about the whole world has decided a lock down is the best option. I thought the UK was going to go with the herd immunity but they changed their minds for some reason. Either they flipped a coin and changed their minds or they were presented with some evidence that a lock down and social distancing was a better option. There is pain either way physical or financial it depends what is most important to you people or money?

If the lock down pricks the debt bubble that will ensure additional economic pain but if the virus was allowed to spread exponentially the eventual drop off in customers may have had as big an economic impact anyway. a 2% loss of customers plus a likely reduction in people going out anyway.

Sorry I might be getting off topic.
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-04-2020 at 03:33 PM.

yeh its not the thread but I am not convinced the shutdown is necessary