sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    2007 he said that airlines should have been shot at birth (actually the first flight should have been shot out of the air), 2016 they are great and I'm buying, 2020 they are dead in the water and getting rid of them.
    All in the timing - anyone who bought airlines in 2010s did very very well.

Guru

surely while its to early to talk about a recovery in this business. This government is simple not going to be able to move this copmany back into a profitable state. Not one single member of the government is business friendly and typhoon tywford or what ever his name is, is simple a hopeless person to be anywhere near business processes. Beagle was right to short this stock and i should have sold earlier and joined him.. But there will come a day when this might be a tradeable stock rather than an investment. It may be 5 years away but it will return from the dead like Lazarus .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    All in the timing - anyone who bought airlines in 2010s did very very well.
    It always is isn't it!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    i seem to recall ironically quoting when I heard Buffet getting into airlines 'coz this time its different'

To be fair, it was different & the future looked promising.
    However, the biggest threat to the airlines as I said a few years back after Ebola, was always going to be a future pandemic.
    Can't run your life totally avoiding the risks of 1 in 100 year events like pandemics & earthquakes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    To be fair, it was different & the future looked promising.
    I hope it doesn't sound too unreasonable but I disagree.
    What you are saying is just a variation on 'this time it's different'.
    You know what they say about boats being holes in the ocean into which you pour your money - well airlines are like boats but worse.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Veteran novice

Different factors at play but the same risk. No-one was foreseeing Covid-19 but budget airlines were around and gaining market share, not in the USA perhaps but cutting swathes in the profitability of many bigger airlines.

Guru

My sister is a director of a U K broking firm, told me once, DO NOT HOLD AIRLINE COMPANIES , "only trade them", I didn't own any now I understand , so does Buffet !!

Not an environmentalist but I've always thought a carbon tax would be the thing that kills airline profitability in the long term. I seem to recall AIR alone was responsible for about 5.2% of New Zealands greenhouse gas emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    You know what they say about boats being holes in the ocean into which you pour your money - well airlines are like boats but worse.
    If it floats, flies, or f**ks...you're better off to rent it.

You can't say that Winston Peters doesn't have Air New Zealand's interests at heart: https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...ghts-to-hobart