sharetrader
Page 420 of 697 FirstFirst ... 320370410416417418419420421422423424430470520 ... LastLast
Results 4,191 to 4,200 of 6963
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Your link said nothing about shelf life or poor returns so in effect a useless piece of information. Gas is going to be very important, especially for a country such as Australia which currently relies totally on coal for their energy generation. I could understand your argument from a NZ perspective but from Australia totally not. From memory about 50% of their energy is from coal so it would be very good for the environment if they went and found more gas, not less. Unless you are advocating that they keep burning coal to keep the lights on?
    Their business sector lacks the same innovation mindset and is stuck in the past. So the manufacturing in Australia offshored. They do have solar resources maybe the best in the world but lack the will or infrastructure to use it effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    This to me is the SINGLE biggest help any government can give to its businesses and to workers.
    Your solution is to add even more drain? Why criticise spending when you want to increase it and take on more debt. trying to have the cake and then eat it too.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 23-05-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post

Your solution is to add even more drain? Why criticise spending when you want to increase it and add more debt. you can't have the cake and eat it too.
    Eh - which part of using the unemployment benefit payment as a wage subsidy to be paid ONLY if a beneficiary is working do you not understand?

The unemployment benefit has to be paid anyway - there is not one incremental cent that the government has to pay to the employer.

Guru

Eh - which part of using the unemployment benefit payment as a wage subsidy to be paid ONLY if a beneficiary is working do you not understand?

The unemployment benefit has to be paid anyway - there is not one incremental cent that the government has to pay to the employer.
    So every employer in the country would get it? would it not encourage more people to threaten to lay off workers to claim this.

So every employer in the country would get it? would it not encourage more people to threaten to lay off workers to claim this.
    A fair point so there has to be check and balances obviously. Obviously every employer who takes on an unemployed worker in place of a temporary migrant worker will get it.

Don't worry as a Labour government loves to build up bureaucarcy - more jobs will be created to monitor the scheme, an added benefit!
    Last edited by Balance; 23-05-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Firstly, thank you for answering the question.

Secondly, once again, your comments about beneficiaries are a side issue - not specifically related to the current situation. The argument has been around forever and neither party in government has ever managed to resolve the unemployment/benefit “issue.” Having said that, have you ever been on a benefit of any kind, but particularly unemployment? I have. I changed my job about three years ago, when I made my life decision to move into my caravan. Three months after getting that job they let me go due to an ongoing chronic cough (yep, a freaking cough) that they said was incompatible with a front line reception position. It took me more than two years to find another job after that. I applied for so many I lost count, many of which I was short listed and interviewed for. I finally managed to get my current caregiver position, which was initially only casual with no guaranteed hours. Every time I worked I had to declare my income to WINZ - in the week I earned it. One of the suckiest rules ever, as some weeks I had close to no income at all because they cut my benefit the week I worked, not the week I got paid.

Very few of us ever choose to be on a benefit. It is soul destroying and demoralising and people (like you) are always looking sideways at you, mentally criticising and judging. It is not as simple as you think and no, not everyone on a benefit is in a position to pack up and move to Nelson to pick apples for three months. There are always logistics such as leaving/or taking family with them (especially for solo parents), accommodation issues, higher cost of living in the area the work is, health considerations. These can all be legitimate considerations that restrict what jobs one can apply for/actually do. So, you have no idea of what that is like unless you have been there.

Finally, your comments re what Aussie has done. The tax free payment to businesses sounds good in theory, but it’s a straight out cash payment. Some businesses will use that to retain staff, but what’s to stop others from using it to clear debt then sell or wind up the business, which helps nobody, least of all staff. You keep saying throwing money at people is irresponsible - same applies to businesses. Targeted assistance like the job subsidy is a far better temporary form of assistance. Your second example of Aussie assistance sounds ok to me, but I’m no tax expert so I will have to take your word for it. The last one re the code for commercial tenancies - not enough info there for me to understand what that is actually providing/achieving.

https://www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au/...small-business

I believe I have posted this before but if I have not, then I can understand why you keep asking the question which I believe I have answered - just look at what the Australian government has done for businesses* and for workers. Truly a government which attempts to look after ALL Australians.

Compare and contrast with NZ where businesses have been hung out to dry.

All that NZ government has to do is match what the Australian government has done as a first start. Instead, nothing has been forthcoming from NZ government.

You refuse to acknowledge that social welfare & unemployment benefits are a drain on the economy and society - isn’t it better that the billions of dollars paid out here be paid to employers (as ongoing wage subsidy) to replace the 200,000 odd temporary migrant workers in NZ?

That way, we become more self-reliant as a country and those who are unemployed (and many many more who are going to be unemployed in June/July) are gainfully engaged in the workforce.

This to me is the SINGLE biggest help any government can give to its businesses and to workers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

What Australian Federal government has provided to businesses so far :

* - Not-for-profits and small businesses with a turnover under $50 million will receive a tax-free cash payment of from $20,000 up to $100,000 to help them retain staff and continue operating.

* - Eligible small businesses that withhold income tax from employee salaries and wages and pay it to the Australian Taxation Office can receive a payment equal to 100 per cent of the amount withheld, up to a maximum payment of $50,000.

* - On 7 April 2020 the Australian Government has announced a mandatory code for commercial tenancies, to assist those impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.

Good point made this morning by one media commentator :

Outside of the crisises (where St Cindy shines), what has Labour delivered?

A party which came into power promising plenty (to get the votes) and courtesy of NZF (& hasn’t Ek storm had the time of his life running circles around the hapless Cindy) but has delivered bugger all.

Two words - Kiwibuild & CGT.

Guru

Their main achievement is not being National and doing a better job marketing NZ to the world. Her brand must be worth hundreds of millions in it's own right. Hopefully we can see some new ideas fit for the modern century and changed circumstances we have.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 23-05-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Legend

Good point made this morning by one media commentator :

A party which came into power promising plenty (to get the votes) and courtesy of NZF (& hasn’t Ek storm had the time of his life running circles around the hapless Cindy) but has delivered bugger all.

Two words - Kiwibuild & CGT.
    You seem to overlook the wonderful things that Labour has brought us. e.g. Phil Twyford, Lees-Galloway, Kelvin Davis, David Clark, David Parker, and who could forget - Willie Jackson. For these MPs, we are truly blessed and should be grateful. And last but not least- the man who was going to set the world alight, but appears to have developed laryngitis - Greg O'Connor.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You seem to overlook the wonderful things that Labour has brought us. e.g. Phil Twyford, Lees-Galloway, Kelvin Davis, David Clark, David Parker, and who could forget - Willie Jackson. For these MPs, we are truly blessed and should be grateful. And last but not least- the man who was going to set the world alight, but appears to have developed laryngitis - Greg O'Connor.
    Historically it's never been about the team. John was plasted over many of the billboards as will Jacinda and it won't matter.

I doubt the MP's that constitute National are more competent. They were not responsible for anything (because their mindset is to do nothing across the board) so haven't really been tested in comparison. It's easy to show up for ribbon cutting and then talk about the team.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 23-05-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Legend

Historically it's never been about the team. John was plasted over most billboard as will Jacinda and it won't matter.

I doubt the MP's that constitute National are more competent. They are not actually responsible for anything (because their mindset is to do nothing) so haven't been tested in comparison. It's easy to show up for ribbon cutting and then talk about the team.
    Yet you talk about 'their' main achievement, when all along it has been 'her' achievement that sees them riding high. She is an excellent communicator, dripping with charisma, but they can't survive on that alone - and they have little else.

https://nopunchespulled.com/2020/04/...-consequences/
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 23-05-2020 at 12:43 PM.