sharetrader
Page 422 of 697 FirstFirst ... 322372412418419420421422423424425426432472522 ... LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 6963
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You do not know if they have alleviated or elevated a recession or depression. You do not know if they have saved lives, or cost lives. I do not know either. Nobody knows or can possibly know for ten years or more. We do know that they have cost jobs. Whatever course of action taken was a gamble. I take my hat off to her for sticking to the decision they made and for fronting the campaign in the bold manner she did. But that does not deserve thanks.
    There is a detailed guest post on Kiwiblog today reviewing official UK EMR (excess mortalities rate). Worth a read.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    There is a detailed guest post on Kiwiblog today reviewing official UK EMR (excess mortalities rate). Worth a read.
    I presume this is the url you mean?

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/05/g...19_deaths.html

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I presume this is the url you mean?

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/05/g...19_deaths.html
    Yes, that's the one. I was going to add a summary but the phone rang. Interesting that some countries produce this data weekly. I had a quick look here on the Stats site, but couldn't see anything v recent. (They are fast and helpful in responding to web requests. A good service.)

What do you think?

Legend

Yes, that's the one. I was going to add a summary but the phone rang. Interesting that some countries produce this data weekly. I had a quick look here on the Stats site, but couldn't see anything v recent. (They are fast and helpful in responding to web requests. A good service.)

What do you think?
    Let you know in 2035. March.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post

Very few of us ever choose to be on a benefit. It is soul destroying and demoralising and people......
    If that were true New Zealand would be a much better place. For some people / multiple generations, believe it or not, it is a career.
    That is one of the reasons I have voted for National (once or twice) in the past...as I thought they had a better plan to break the cycle.

Yes, you are correct that some beneficiaries are as you describe. But the vast majority are not. It really bothers me that my fellow Kiwis still hold onto this false belief and judge people based on a few. As I said before, walk in the shoes I once walked in, and then come back and tell me I was a bludger for needing and accepting social assistance.

And btw, National never solved any of these problems either. No more than they solved our horrific child abuse/domestic violence problems. Both governments have tried, but sometimes there are simply no solutions. As someone who worked for CYF for eight years (not a social worker) I can attest to that.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    If that were true New Zealand would be a much better place. For some people / multiple generations, believe it or not, it is a career.
    That is one of the reasons I have voted for National (once or twice) in the past...as I thought they had a better plan to break the cycle.

Guru

Bill turned it into effectively a basic income and ignored long term recipients. There was no serious attempt to fix it and there maybe shouldn't be. It's only marketing and optics.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 24-05-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Advanced Member

If that were true New Zealand would be a much better place. For some people / multiple generations, believe it or not, it is a career...
    And can be a career supplemented by the very large black and grey economy. Conservatively estimated at around $20 billion a year.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Yes, you are correct that some beneficiaries are as you describe. But the vast majority are not. It really bothers me that my fellow Kiwis still hold onto this false belief and judge people based on a few. As I said before, walk in the shoes I once walked in, and then come back and tell me I was a bludger for needing and accepting social assistance.

And btw, National never solved any of these problems either. No more than they solved our horrific child abuse/domestic violence problems. Both governments have tried, but sometimes there are simply no solutions. As someone who worked for CYF for eight years (not a social worker) I can attest to that.
    Nope - we do not judge people based upon a few. There is simply NO excuse for NZ to require 200,000+ workers on temporary work visas when we have unemployment of over 100,000+ in 2019. That tells us a lot about most of the unemployed and the beneficiaries.

As to child abuse/domestic violence - there is a solution and it is to lock away those who perpetuate such dastardly deeds against vulnerable children & women, instead of the law protecting the perpetuators. And let's not get into the BS debate about rehabilitation etc etc of those bad eggs - they are beyond redemption. Too many lily-hearted judges and welfare workers in NZ.
    Last edited by Balance; 24-05-2020 at 10:20 AM.

And can be a career supplemented by the very large black and grey economy. Conservatively estimated at around $20 billion a year.
    Who made the estimate?

westerly