sharetrader

Hybrid View

IMO

A dangerous naive question.Im not a licensed qualified financial advisor for one.
    Not reckoing anything for these risky plays. But for me, i want exposure to the down side in a hedging type way.I have Gold for Global. BBOZ and BEAR are others for ones Australian exposure. Peats T/A is a very helpful tool.

I had a dabble with BBOZ. It does not always behave as you would expect. Be warned. I was happy to get out with 10% loss.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    A dangerous naive question.Im not a licensed qualified financial advisor for one.
    Not reckoing anything for these risky plays. But for me, i want exposure to the down side in a hedging type way.I have Gold for Global. BBOZ and BEAR are others for ones Australian exposure. Peats T/A is a very helpful tool.
    Hopefully Peat's disclaimer is not for my benefit. I am only asking for opinions I won't be taking anyone to court as I am a believer in people taking responsibility for their actions but I am always interested in other people's opinions. Usually I am looking for some confirmation bias as it is a bad habit of mine. I hope no one ever listens to me. Based on the amount of research I bother to do I could be classified as a gambler/speculator rather than an investor, although ideally I want a large portfolio of regular dividend paying companies my laziness is a problem.
    In that vein Peat how do you short the S&P500?

for this scenario there a few ways that I might respond to my own prognostications

(i) given that its all one market I would consider reducing exposure within my portfolio. Take some profits etc. for instance I am now completely out of PAZ and AFT and yes yes I know they've gone up further (because I left some for others coz I'm a nice guy lol)
    (ii) short the SP500 using CFD's - as noted previously I use CMC.
    (iii) go short some currency pair that is normally correlated to Risk on/Risk off eg Eur/Jpy or Aud/Usd

my disclaimer is for everybody just in case , these threads have a few lurkers I believe.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....