sharetrader
Page 538 of 697 FirstFirst ... 38438488528534535536537538539540541542548588638 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,380 of 6963
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    I suppose the latest poll on 1 News is rogue as well for you Tory lovers?
    2 1/2 hours gone and no comments from the Tories? Whats the matter Imbalance, Gus, Jonah and your cronies??

Yes, he was talking about a mindset. His mindset.
    He seems to believe that beneficiaries are all lazy, incompetent people who have chosen to be jobless. He also apparently believes that once one is on a benefit one will be on it forever. So, as someone who has been a beneficiary twice during my life, I am offended by his ongoing criticism and disrespectful comments.

Of course I don't feel benefits should be a lifestyle choice! If that's what I believed I wouldn't have put myself through the hard slog and stress of completing a Level 5 ICT Diploma and an Office Management course while raising my kids. I also wouldn't have spent a year applying for countless jobs, stressing out about interviews, and breaking my heart over the pile of rejection letters I received. Let alone step outside my comfort zone and train for the job I now have (and love). You don't put yourself through all that if you think being on a benefit is a better "lifestyle choice."

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I think you will find that Balance was talking about a mindset. There is nothing wrong with being a beneficiary. Benefits were established to help those out temporarily in need when that arose. (with the emphasis on temporary) It was never the intent that that need became a lifestyle. That is what Balance is arguing against I feel.
    If you feel that benefits should be a lifestyle choice then I am appalled and staggered at that mindset.

Advanced Member

2 1/2 hours gone and no comments from the Tories? Whats the matter Imbalance, Gus, Jonah and your cronies??

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12352405

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    You still haven't come up with any numbers as to how many unemployed turn down offered jobs.? It is your interpretation that I implied it is preferable to stay on the dole. I was lucky enough to never having been unemployed but times have changed and jobs are not easy to find at present.
    Seasonal and agricultural jobs are not a career and are usually situated in areas without a high unemployed population.
    I still wouldn't work on a fishing boat but you obviously were suited to a life at sea.

westerly
    Wasn't aware that I was supposed to come up with that number and wouldn't have a clue where you could find a reliable such number. The example I gave was clear, in a town where many young people are on the dole and unavailable for work that unduly interferes with their lifestyle. But honestly it's probably best to bypass them any way because most of them fail a drug test. Not sure where NZ is heading with this when an unfortunately large proportion of our young people don't want hard work or are unemployable as well as calls growing louder against work permits for foreign workers.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    He seems to believe that beneficiaries are all lazy, incompetent people who have chosen to be jobless. He also apparently believes that once one is on a benefit one will be on it forever. So, as someone who has been a beneficiary twice during my life, I am offended by his ongoing criticism and disrespectful comments.

Of course I don't feel benefits should be a lifestyle choice! If that's what I believed I wouldn't have put myself through the hard slog and stress of completing a Level 5 ICT Diploma and an Office Management course while raising my kids. I also wouldn't have spent a year applying for countless jobs, stressing out about interviews, and breaking my heart over the pile of rejection letters I received. Let alone step outside my comfort zone and train for the job I now have (and love). You don't put yourself through all that if you think being on a benefit is a better "lifestyle choice."
    Quite right - anyone can lose their job and they do! Guess what they typically have to apply for income support out of necessity. Anyway there are plenty of people working who get accommodation supplement I guess they are beneficiaries too because of their rent or mortgage costs as their wages aren't sufficient enough, then there are people who get Working for Families so its not just the unemployed.

Dilettante

Of course I don't feel benefits should be a lifestyle choice! If that's what I believed I wouldn't have put myself through the hard slog and stress of completing a Level 5 ICT Diploma and an Office Management course while raising my kids.
    I also wouldn't have spent a year applying for countless jobs, stressing out about interviews, and breaking my heart over the pile of rejection letters I received. Let alone step outside my comfort zone and train for the job I now have (and love). You don't put yourself through all that if you think being on a benefit is a better "lifestyle choice."
    justakiwi I think most of the criticism here has not been leveled at all beneficiaries. It has been directed at the cohort of beneficiaries that has little or no intention of getting a job and if they do, it is only to clock up some time so they can go back on there. Sadly, I have recent examples of quite a lot of such behaviour at the same time as companies in their home towns are desperate for workers.
    I think a huge majority of commentators on ST want our welfare system to be a good safety net for people that genuinely need it, normally temporarily due to circumstances out of their control. Furthermore, I think most people on here have gotten to where they are through hard work and determination, like you obviously have, not inherited great wealth..
    The comments always get a bit more heated and personal (sadly) as we draw closer to elections. but hopefully they will all be kept relatively civil :-0
    Last edited by iceman; 30-07-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Membaa

I love you justakiwi, in platonic way if that even needs to be said, honestly for someone I’ve never met, I’d much rather subscribe to your passion and perseverance for a better life for yourself and all the disadvantaged than any of the hard right or hard left trolls on here.

Wallow in your goodness and humility, you deserve it, much more than many of the ‘well off’ here who seek to diminish the majority who really do struggle to make ends meet.

Remember, “don’t let the fvckers get you down”. My mantra.

An excellent poll result after the rogue poll last week. 32% vs 24.5% - day & night!

In 4 weeks’ time, the 14% undecided will also firm up their preference and the picture will become clearer.

Down 5% for Labour, down 1% for Greens and it’s the start of sayanora comrade Cindy & her team of incompetents.

Meanwhile, some of us are positioned to win either way so enjoy!

One party wants to create jobs, the other party wants to breed more beneficiaries.
    Last edited by Balance; 30-07-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    I love you justakiwi, in platonic way if that even needs to be said, honestly for someone I’ve never met, I’d much rather subscribe to your passion and perseverance for a better life for yourself and all the disadvantaged than any of the hard right or hard left trolls on here.

Wallow in your goodness and humility, you deserve it, much more than many of the ‘well off’ here who seek to diminish the majority who really do struggle to make ends meet.

Remember, “don’t let the fvckers get you down”. My mantra.
    Well said Baa Baa, my respect to you and to Justakiwi

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    If you really want to work and provide for your family that is a small sacrifice to pay. If someone does not want to do that, then sorry, no benefit. I am not forcing anyone to do anything by the way. They force it on themselves. There are other places where they can work too. Unfortunately the last 30 years or so we have cultivated an entitlement culture where people have become dependent on the state and are loath to look after themselves and their responsibilities. Your comments are full of entitlement.
    My comments are about human rights and treating people with respect, dignity and fairness.

It depends which definition of entitlement you choose- the fact of having a right to something, or the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment. I don’t think the right to receive a benefit is special treatment. We have made a lot of progress economically and in other ways in the last 30 years and the benefits should be shared, rather than the rich getting richer as jobs disappear and wages are stagnant or driven down.