• Yes I Will Invest

14 20.00%
  • No I Will Not Invest

56 80.00%
Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Thanks for that Left Field, a very helpful post

Thanks for the tips Left field.

I have never got into TA and I have always been more of a Buffett fan (our favourite holding time is forever) which generally has served me well but I need to reevaluate all of my Craigs inspired purchases. At the time I was unwell and gave them a portion of money to manage. Those are by and large my worst performers. Gentrack, Vista, Z (recommended for dividends), etc. Some of the shares I purchased on their recommendation but most of my international shares and a few New Zealand shares are held under Craigs management through their nominee. Maybe I will just sell up and have them return the money. I need to check the tax implications of selling US shares first. Overall Craigs were not a success and I have no reason to believe that will change. They even recommended the recent IFT SPP which made sense given it was at a relatively high point.

i only had a very small holding of VGL , purchased at an incredible 5.60 and now obviously down a huge percentage.
    I took up the SPP , and recently tripled my holding.

I thought about the movie industry as being something that has survived numerous setbacks over the last hundred and twenty years or so, and it has always come back despite TV, despite pirates, despite affordable large screens in the homes. I believe it will survive in the long run though we could be talking a good few years. So I have no immediate expectations of being in the black but because even now it it still quite a small holding I can wait.

Don't forget Vista has a lot of recurring revenue to tide it over, and has done the right things to get it through these tough times.
    Last edited by peat; 27-07-2020 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

IMO

A bit like airports, how long before AIA is profitable again, 3-5 years?

Guru

Nice post Leftfield...
    In this instance taking buy advice using TA instead of listening to the so-called financial experts would've saved you some money..
    Seeing these posts makes me think VGL could be a contrarian buy ..

Most people think of the future with today's and past perspectives instead of thinking today with future perspectives..(90% of people are natural Linear Thinkers)

Successful companies change and innovate when it's present environment become unhealthy...We just have to figure out if VGL is one.

Disc: Have VGL shares
    Last edited by Hoop; 27-07-2020 at 01:59 PM.

@hoop you make a good point about the recurring revenue. I believe VGL have adapted by creating software to allocate seats that allow for social distancing and there was some talk about adapting software for pay for view TV but I’m not sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Nice post Leftfield...
    In this instance taking buy advice using TA instead of listening to the so-called financial experts would've saved you some money..
    Seeing these posts makes me think VGL could be a contrarian buy ..

Most people think of the future with today's and past perspectives instead of thinking today with future perspectives..(90% of people are natural Linear Thinkers)

Successful companies change and innovate when it's present environment become unhealthy...We just have to figure out if VGL is one.

"thinking today with future perspectives".

Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    A bit like airports, how long before AIA is profitable again, 3-5 years?
    a lot of growth was factored into the price as well (at the highs), also true for AIA .... and that (super growth) will take a lot longer if ever now, which does affect price quite a lot. (though less in AIA's case I guess because it has more tangible assets)

I would suggest that it is and has shown itself to be so firstly by achieving the world domination that it has (exaggeration for effect - - but I think it is indisputably up there in the global industry)
    Secondly as an example I posted earlier there latest s/w release included covid-19 isolating seating patterns to assist cinemas that were operating. But you only need to read their news announcemnents to see they are always moving and growing.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Outside thinking.

Nice post Leftfield...
    Seeing these posts makes me think VGL could be a contrarian buy ......
    Of course...... trouble with contrarian buys is that you are still locking your money away for an unknown time in a down trend.......waiting, waiting, waiting.... for the BIG UPWARD trend change.

IMHO it is much better to sit on the sidelines with your money either safe or working well in other investments and only enter again when the SP Trend starts moving up, and the volumes traded start showing some excitement.

Besides, there are heaps of 'contrarian buys' out there..... THL, AIR, RAK etc to name a few.

FA tells me what to buy/sell.

TA tells me when to buy/sell it. I don't care about 'picking the bottom' I would rather buy in to a sustained upward trend, preferably signalled by a 'golden cross'. (PEB is a classic example of this at the moment.)

Any share in my portfolio showing a prolonged downtrend or a prolonged sideways trend usually gets axed.

It would be boring if we all traded the same way (after all that's what the market is about.)
    Last edited by Leftfield; 28-07-2020 at 08:54 AM.

I just think : it is trading at less than 30% or 20% compare to ATH , And important of all : 60% of it's income is garanteed by it's customers despite covid-19. You work the math.