sharetrader
Page 157 of 213 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 2126

Thread: SKO - Serko.com

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Sure ... however there are probably more examples for award winning companies doing tough than doing well. Makes as well sense:

Apart from the boards awarding these rewards not even using economical success as a criterion, they don't know more about the future (or the past) than anybody else. Business awards are just a smoke screens to distract the investors eyes from whatever matters.
    For sure, business awards do not necessarily translate into bullish share price. Its just an acknowledgement of a sound business model that company operates in, at least in tech world.

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    For sure, business awards do not necessarily translate into bullish share price. Its just an acknowledgement of a sound business model that company operates in, at least in tech world.
    I dare to disagree. The award says only that the company considers itself as "Hi tech" and that their managers / owners know the right people (which is easy in NZ).

Sure - previous winners have been XRO and PPH (which may or may not be considered to produce High Tech), but as well Orion Health, Wynyard, ikeGPS and a lot of companies I never heard about like e.g. "Carnival Labs" and "Trigger Happy" - hmm).

Orion Health and Wynyard - sound business models? Are you sure?

Anyway - clearly not a requirement to get this award ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Investor

I dare to disagree. The award says only that the company considers itself as "Hi tech" and that their managers / owners know the right people (which is easy in NZ).

Sure - previous winners have been XRO and PPH (which may or may not be considered to produce High Tech), but as well Orion Health, Wynyard, ikeGPS and a lot of companies I never heard about like e.g. "Carnival Labs" and "Trigger Happy" - hmm).

Orion Health and Wynyard - sound business models? Are you sure?

Anyway - clearly not a requirement to get this award ...
    You answered your own question in that there are always and will be exceptions...

You answered your own question in that there are always and will be exceptions...
    I didn't ask any question. I stated that the award has absolutely nothing to do with a sound business model or the past, present or future economic success of the winner. Some of them are successful, some may or may not be successful in the future and others clearly have been terrible failures.

The award is worthless to assess the quality of a company. Just an opportunity for the old boys to dust off their black suits once a year ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Investor

I didn't ask any question. I stated that the award has absolutely nothing to do with a sound business model or the past, present or future economic success of the winner. Some of them are successful, some may or may not be successful in the future and others clearly have been terrible failures.

The award is worthless to assess the quality of a company. Just an opportunity for the old boys to dust off their black suits once a year ...
    Each to their own and depends on what barometers out there to assess business veracity.

Investor

On the move....

Inclusion in the S&P - set to return to former highs despite next to no travel?

Investor

Sold about a quarter of holding into the bounce, just to balance risk weighting on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    Inclusion in the S&P - set to return to former highs despite next to no travel?
    Makes a bit of a mockery of the rebalancing system doesn't it.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Outside thinking.

Sold about a quarter of holding into the bounce, just to balance risk weighting on this one.
    Sound decision. FWIW I sold 80% of my holding on the way down (around the death cross). Took my profits.

Sad as I like the company, like the product, like the management.

However the Covid headwinds for the travel industry are likely to continue to disrupt this for a couple of years IMO. In the meantime I thought better to have my money chasing potential elsewhere eg; PEB, IKE and PLX. Crikey I even bought a few OCA (all doing well too!)