sharetrader
Page 514 of 1420 FirstFirst ... 144144645045105115125135145155165175185245646141014 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,140 of 14194

Well that's the thing. A chromecast costs say $59. A 4k cost 100ish. A set top box costs 199. I brought a free view HD box years ago just do I could play TV through my xbox and never used the damm thing. Somethings seem good but end up being gimmicky. But if this is to future proof and replace there existing boxes while adding in some extra features then that sounds OK. Doesn't it?
    Also have we seen the last of the dreaded goodwill right downs. I'm still not sold on the benefits of rugby fan pass. That money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Agree with you mistaTea on a new SKY box.

This is where SKY needs to do the math. Tech is not what it use to be.

The current and older sky boxes are easier to maintain/repair, as they serve a single purpose. And this was a necessity. There were no alternates.

Building a new box especially for Apps is only the start. Maintenance - Software wise is a major hurdle. Security/OS upgrades, bugs etc. And eventually as software matures, your hardware does not keep up as well. And not to mention additional call out's and also any hardware/warranty issues with the box. These are all costs, manpower and resources. Especially when customers have an alternate.

They could instead partner with existing devices on the market and recommend/offer choices to consumers. Example, Amazon fire 4k stick with Dolby HDR or Similar. You can buy these on Sale for less than $50-$70 on sale.

If i was SKT, i would focus my energy on constantly improving/maturing my Apps. Just like Netflix. I would release these Apps to work on most devices out there. Most Tv manufacturer's and most of the popular devices in the market. I believe this is where their focus and resources needs to go. Software is king.

I for one would never buy an additional box. And that is perhaps why Vodafone tv box may not be as popular. Consumers already have some sort of smart device at home, they are comfortable with. Just my thoughts and input.

Advanced Member

Had a good read of the annual report last night. Some key points:

- Sky paid $13.5m for Lightbox (page 89) - Deal of the year.
    - Martin's base salary doubled to $1.5m (page 100) This is way too high given share price performance and market cap.
    - The banking syndicate forced the placement (page 67) - Company has always given the impression it was done voluntary

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    Had a good read of the annual report last night. Some key points:

- Sky paid $13.5m for Lightbox (page 89) - Deal of the year.
    - Martin's base salary doubled to $1.5m (page 100) This is way too high given share price performance and market cap.
    - The banking syndicate forced the placement (page 67) - Company has always given the impression it was done voluntary
    Re his salary - are you sure? https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12166105 Remeber hed only been with the company 6 months last year

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimdog31 View Post
    Re his salary - are you sure? https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12166105 Remeber hed only been with the company 6 months last year
    Perhaps it was because he did a half year in 2019.

But still, $1.5m is a lot.

Then he goes and buys just $37k of stock, lol.

Perhaps it was because he did a half year in 2019.

But still, $1.5m is a lot.

Then he goes and buys just $37k of stock, lol.
    I guess when he came on board the Market Cap was a different story.... If hes worth $1.5 million, he needs to get that market cap back up. Im just going to through this out there... $37500 is 2.5% of his salary. Is that just his company kiwisaver contribution?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimdog31 View Post
    I guess when he came on board the Market Cap was a different story.... If hes worth $1.5 million, he needs to get that market cap back up. Im just going to through this out there... $37500 is 2.5% of his salary. Is that just his company kiwisaver contribution?
    Yeah, $1.5m was appropriate when he first took the reins, but now it looks way out of proportion. To think that he's already pocketed ~$2.5m by now plus benefits is shocking.

Also, they've let go a lot of their workforce but upper management is still sucking on the tits. You've got Handely on $100k doing nothing. Blair thinks he can go into an advisory job.

Another reason why a merger or takeover from Discovery seems like the right move here. There's still a lot of costs to come out.

Guru

Yeah, $1.5m was appropriate when he first took the reins, but now it looks way out of proportion. To think that he's already pocketed ~$2.5m by now plus benefits is shocking.

Also, they've let go a lot of their workforce but upper management is still sucking on the tits. You've got Handely on $100k doing nothing. Blair thinks he can go into an advisory job.

Another reason why a merger or takeover from Discovery seems like the right move here. There's still a lot of costs to come out.
    LOL I love the way you take every little piece of information you can find and somehow manage to tie it back to ‘Ogg’s Mergergate’.

Ogg, what are your thoughts on them not taking the subsidy? I know its honorable, but why not if they qualified? that would have added some significant $$ to the bottom line which most companies that qualified have done?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    LOL I love the way you take every little piece of information you can find and somehow manage to tie it back to ‘Ogg’s Mergergate’.
    Gotta push the narrative bro!