sharetrader
Page 496 of 899 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546596 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,960 of 8983
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    The capital is working hardest where it is growing the fastest, not where it is paying the highest dividend.

I'm not offering advice, and everyone's situation is different, I'm just spouting off the top of my head as I mull things over. Also, I still do hold HLG - I tend not to sell unless I develop a really negative view of a company. Leveraged property investment aside, looking back over decades of investment, it is the growth companies that make you money.
    With HLG at the right point in the cycle (and yearly quarter) you can achieve both. I also have been switching more capital to growth shares over time, particularly in Aust, though right now is not a good time to be taking much risk on growth stocks with the US Election & it's aftermath coming up. (Looks like Trump will be wiped out, but he's beaten the odds before).

eg sticking to a nice boring gentailer (AST) in Aust over the next month among other stocks.
    I also happen to agree with Beagle's thesis, on the wall of money from TD's looking for a lower risk home (within shares), which is where div stocks should appreciate in value...Just my personal opinion...
    Last edited by Davexl; 14-10-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Outside thinking.

The capital is working hardest where it is growing the fastest, not where it is paying the highest dividend. .... looking back over decades of investment, it is the growth companies that make you money.
    I'm in total agreement. Some investors like the 'security' of div/yield stocks.

Others (like me) prefer to have my capital working hard.

Here's an example to consider..............

Back in 2017 in an interesting coincidence, three different companies spiked my attention and I placed them in my watch list.

The following chart shows the % cap gains returns since (if you add in the HLG divs it reaches about 100% gain... roughly speaking. )

Date In In SP Current SP # Weeks % gain
    HLG 1/12/17 $3.56 $6.00 150 68%
    SKO 2/10/17 $0.64 $4.87 158 660%
    PLX 1/10/17 $0.175 $1.56 158 791%

Of course this is backward looking and the future performance of these shares may be much different..... but it does highlight what Biscuit is saying.
    Last edited by Leftfield; 14-10-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davexl View Post
    .... Looks like Trump will be wiped out..... I also happen to agree with Beagle's thesis, on the wall of money from TD's looking for a lower risk home (within shares), which is where div stocks should appreciate in value...
    What people do with their money is, like their vote, unpredictable to me. I know that the decisions I make do not often follow my rational thoughts and I expect other people's decisions are even less likely to.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    ...... Of course this is backward looking and the future performance of these shares may be much different.....
    Looking forwards, companies that plan and strive for world domination from day one may fall over, but, until they achieve world domination, they are likely better investments than companies that plan to distribute their income as dividends.

Advanced Member

What people do with their money is, like their vote, unpredictable to me. I know that the decisions I make do not often follow my rational thoughts and I expect other people's decisions are even less likely to.
    Unbelievable...
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Quote Originally Posted by Davexl View Post
    Unbelievable...
    Unbelievable: that people's choices are a mystery to me; that I don't do what I think I logically should do; or that other people don't do what I think they should do? People are irrational, I don't think you can use logic to work out what people are going to do (just look at all the people who own HLG shares - including me - that is an irrational choice).
    Last edited by Biscuit; 14-10-2020 at 05:26 PM.

Really positive signs for Glassons AU

Australia October consumer sentiment surges to two-year high in "extraordinary" result

https://www.reuters.com/article/aust...-idUSKBN26Y372
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

I keep thinking nothing to comment. But what is irrational about buying share that pays a dividend higher than 5% and has no debt much to speak of.

Its got to be the most logical thing to do. buy HLG.

if Crammer was doing a NZX segment i can imagine the sound effects every time they pay a dividend....Id turn it up as loud as possible and that is very loud considering the sound system that is plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    I'm in total agreement. Some investors like the 'security' of div/yield stocks.

Others (like me) prefer to have my capital working hard.

Here's an example to consider..............

Back in 2017 in an interesting coincidence, three different companies spiked my attention and I placed them in my watch list.

The following chart shows the % cap gains returns since (if you add in the HLG divs it reaches about 100% gain... roughly speaking. )

Date In In SP Current SP # Weeks % gain
    HLG 1/12/17 $3.56 $6.00 150 68%
    SKO 2/10/17 $0.64 $4.87 158 660%
    PLX 1/10/17 $0.175 $1.56 158 791%

Of course this is backward looking and the future performance of these shares may be much different..... but it does highlight what Biscuit is saying.
    Comparing apples and oranges. There's been plenty of tech wrecks over that timeframe too.
    FWIW I first got into HLG in Aug 2016 at ~ $2.70 on a yield of 15% gross. Its more than doubled its money in the last four years and its paid two massive dividends every year unlike many other companies.

Horses for courses. I'm in the twilight of my working career and want some stocks that pay me monster dividends so I can enjoy beautifully aged Scotch by the riverside parked up in my new German made campervan

Its very tempting to go even more overweight and get even more of my portfolio working at 12% gross...sure beats working for a living
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-10-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

the giant over budget government tech wrecks of the late 80, 90's....

the more dynamic and better the technology the skies the limit..the more profitable the software ...its like kfc. Killer technologies that are both dynamic and cost effective are rare. They have to be morphic. The higher the profit on a software solution the more i suspect its ingredients.

Like clothes that dont last long but sell well.