sharetrader

Thread: National - FFS!

Hybrid View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I don't. But I think using the euphemism 'gay' is a choice, and a poor one. They are not 'gay'. They are homosexual.
    Like "straight" is a euphemism for being heterosexual?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Then there was the 'confirmed bachelor' euphemism.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Then there was the 'confirmed bachelor' euphemism.
    My grandmother used to refer to maiden aunts and their "companions". However that could easily have been because of the killing fields of WW1 wiping out many men from that age group.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I don't think it is. 'Straight' people don't seem to recoil from being called heterosexual or hetrosexual. 'Straight' is another term but not a euphemism. 'Gay' is definitely a euphemism. I think you will find most homosexual or lesbian people are quite open to being called 'homosexual or lesbian'. They don't find it offensive. But then along came the politically correct do-gooders who have decided their description should be changed to 'gay'. That is offensive. Like the blind who some years ago were pleading to be called 'blind' but couldn't defeat the PC lunatics who insisted they be called 'visually impaired'.

Guru

I don't think it is. 'Straight' people don't seem to recoil from being called heterosexual or hetrosexual. 'Straight' is another term but not a euphemism. 'Gay' is definitely a euphemism. I think you will find most homosexual or lesbian people are quite open to being called 'homosexual or lesbian'...
    I guess heterosexuality between two consenting adults was never illegal in NZ within living memory so was never the description of a proscribed activity.

Banned

I don't think it is. 'Straight' people don't seem to recoil from being called heterosexual or hetrosexual. 'Straight' is another term but not a euphemism. 'Gay' is definitely a euphemism. I think you will find most homosexual or lesbian people are quite open to being called 'homosexual or lesbian'. They don't find it offensive. But then along came the politically correct do-gooders who have decided their description should be changed to 'gay'. That is offensive. Like the blind who some years ago were pleading to be called 'blind' but couldn't defeat the PC lunatics who insisted they be called 'visually impaired'.
    The whole PC movement has really made modern life much more unpleasant, its just another form of control.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The whole PC movement has really made modern life much more unpleasant, its just another form of control.
    I guess it does depend on the specific situation, however I think PC “ unpleasantness” is preferable to previous persecution, discrimination and forced control based on, for example, ethnicity, gender and sexuality.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 20-10-2020 at 04:11 PM.