sharetrader
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Hi Oliver i put in an enntry for 2021 competition but have not had any communication regards my entry and dont have a link .can you lead me in the right direction,Thanks Southern slim

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Broker Picks;
    Forsyth Barr,...Hamilton Hindin Greene.......,Hobson Wealth....Sharetrader......Craigs...........MSL... ......Jarden
    KMD......................EBO...................... .........RYM...................ATM................ EBO...........AFT.............SPK
    GNE.......................MFT..................... ..........SPK....................PEB.............. ..FPH............AIA.............MFT
    SPK.......................RYM..................... ..........WHS...................OCA............... MCY............HGH...........EBO
    EBO......................SPK...................... ...........ATM...................PLX.............. ..MFT............PX1.............ZEL
    SKL.......................ATM..................... ...........SKO....................MFT............. ..RYM............PIL..............TRA.

2020 results.
    Forsyth Bar -1.5%..HHG..13.7%.HW 14%..ST 25.2%..Craigs 21.3%..MSL. 21.1%.Jarden.. 15%
    Seriously, not even one was willing to take even a slight risk?

Entered of course. 🙂

Hopefully not too late as the NZX is still closed today.
    SKT
    VGL
    KMD
    SML
    AIR
    Discl..The Dogs Of The Dow Theory
    Last edited by airedale; 04-01-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    Seriously, not even one was willing to take even a slight risk?

Entered of course. 
    If you want to win these things you have to pick a few of the really small companies, capable of huge percentage gains (or losses)
    I never do very well as just pick the stocks I actually own.
    Last year went WHS EBOS SUM IFT Cash. Which was pretty much my NZ portfolio. They all did well, but I was still way down the list with a 20% gain.

The brokers face similar issues which is why their selections are seen as boring. They tend to pick the stocks they recommend to their clients, which are generally the steady investment stocks.

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSlim View Post
    Hi Oliver i put in an enntry for 2021 competition but have not had any communication regards my entry and dont have a link .can you lead me in the right direction,Thanks Southern slim
    Hi Southern Slim...entries closed last night, so will collate everything today and you should get the link soon!!

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    If you want to win these things you have to pick a few of the really small companies, capable of huge percentage gains (or losses)
    Last year went WHS EBOS SUM IFT Cash. Which was pretty much my NZ portfolio. They all did well, but I was still way down the list with a 20% gain.

The brokers face similar issues which is why their selections are seen as boring. They tend to pick the stocks they recommend to their clients, which are generally the steady investment stocks.
    Agree with ratkin's assessment. Risk / return, plus a longer-term investment outlook affects the overall outcome. Generally, the 'sharetrader' group tends to have a slightly riskier outlook in its picks, although even that is obviated when you 'aggregate' across the herd for the most popular selections.

On the doghouse

'Snap' ratkin. Got a 20% return myself in the 2020 competition although without picking 'cash'. That means your share returns were consummately better than mine. So I would say to you, very well done!

Like you I pick representative shares that I actually own. I see no purpose in trying to 'win' the competition because, as you point out, this would generally require extreme risk taking which you can do in a competition because there is no real downside if you get it wrong. But if you just regard the competition as a bit of fun, there is of course nothing wrong with 'playing to win'. I use the competition to track my returns during the year, and that it does for me very well.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 05-01-2021 at 12:17 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

If you want to win these things you have to pick a few of the really small companies, capable of huge percentage gains (or losses)...
    Just register yourself a few times if you are really desperate to win.

Some of the usernames people have input are quite entertaining. I'm learning a lot from Urban Dictionary today!

Guru

What is this entry trying to tell us?

599031 STU,STU,STU,STU,STU,STU

I have been a "buzz hunter" all my adult life, but the risks I take are (almost) all calculated ones. All my picks every year are shares that I actually hold in my portfolio of 8. In 2020 I got lucky.

For 2021, I think OCA is likely to better than SUM, and SKL and HGH (my other two holdings) also seem unlikely to rocket away from their currently gratifyingly high prices. We shall see!

GLTAH