sharetrader
Page 56 of 1429 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960661061565561056 ... LastLast
    Guru

National brought in 73k migrants per year to fill low tier roles with no idea where to put them. This "legacy issue" has been lumped onto labour's desk I think.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    .... I find it deeply cynical that Labour has pivoted from the clear emphasis on KiwiBuild (addressing the affordability issue) to now focus almost solely on social housing. It makes me believe that there was never any intention to look after the people that originally voted for Labour because they believed Labour’s promises around KiwiBuild. Labour simply needed their votes at that election, and did what it took to secure them by telling lies. It represents the biggest broken promise in NZ political history in my view. And yet you often see their supporters saying “at least they tried”. The alleged try was absolutely pitiful, mainly seeming to consist of photos of Twyford standing round in flouro vest and hard hat grinning.
    There is a huge difference between social housing and Kiwibuild. It is control. Social housing - only one party in charge of the transaction so they can say and do what they like. Kiwibuild - many parties need to be lined up, a much more complex proposition. Too complex for an inexperienced* government despite Kiwibuild being Labour flagship policy for years.

*being polite rather than correctly descriptive

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    National brought in 73k migrants per year to fill low tier roles with no idea where to put them. This "legacy issue" has been lumped onto labour's desk I think.
    Were they all homeless. Living in cars and under bridges? Of course not.

Guru

Nonsense. Despite Winnie and Cindy pledging to reduce immigration, pre-covid numbers were almost identical.

Veteran novice

No, Logen. I think it was incompetence on the part of the Labour govt rather than a calculated broken promise. Unfortunately, the new model govt doesn't look any better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Were they all homeless. Living in cars and under bridges? Of course not.
    It did go down by a third pre-pandemic.

Stephen joyce seems to think we should start a house building program during a pandemic.

What happens if we lock down again? who will pay the workers during their weeks off?

Guru

It did go down by a third pre-pandemic.

Stephen joyce seems to think we should start a house building program during a pandemic.

What happens if we lock down again? who will pay the workers during their weeks off?
    Really Panda-NZ? Are you saying Labour are not going to build houses? Something they have repeatedly pledged to do and failed miserably in their targets. How are we to take you seriously?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/124...cd-report-says

NZ the worse in housing affordability according to OECD - Cindy’s doing

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    The Labour whinge doesn’t make sense anyway, because if they sold a house and someone bought it, that hasn’t reduced the housing stock. Someone will still be living in that house.

But this is another example of Labour trying to make out that the housing crisis is about homelessness, rather than it always having been an umbrella term that covers both the homelessness issue and the housing affordability issue.

I find it deeply cynical that Labour has pivoted from the clear emphasis on KiwiBuild (addressing the affordability issue) to now focus almost solely on social housing. It makes me believe that there was never any intention to look after the people that originally voted for Labour because they believed Labour’s promises around KiwiBuild. Labour simply needed their votes at that election, and did what it took to secure them by telling lies. It represents the biggest broken promise in NZ political history in my view. And yet you often see their supporters saying “at least they tried”. The alleged try was absolutely pitiful, mainly seeming to consist of photos of Twyford standing round in flouro vest and hard hat grinning.
    Remember Labour were wild and loose with their 2017 promises because they didn't expect to win, and they didn't of course. but landed in the hot-seat thanks to Winnie.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/124...cd-report-says

NZ the worse in housing affordability according to OECD - Cindy’s doing

So that makes a change from the worst under National.. to the worst today.

NZ is far better than living in a desert (australia) or shoe box (UK) I'd say.