sharetrader
Page 641 of 899 FirstFirst ... 141541591631637638639640641642643644645651691741 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,410 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    and we know who was right eh balance .... not couta as the hlg price plummeted to $2
    Definitely not you, that’s for sure. Anybody heeding your postings on HLG would have missed out on one of the best gains on the market in 2020.

And one thing I must respect about couta1, right or wrong, he puts his money and credibility where his mouth is, and is transparent about it.
    Last edited by Balance; 02-03-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Investments

Can anyone enlighten me what happens to High Divvy stocks when interest rates start rising ...ASB increased its term deposit rates big time and more to come in the days ahead

Will it help Divvy stocks or it will contract their PE ??

Divvy stocks better in this environment or growth stocks as it has the potential to contract whole market PE ...But where better ??

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me what happens to High Divvy stocks when interest rates start rising ...ASB increased its term deposit rates big time and more to come in the days ahead

Divvy stocks better in this environment or growth stocks as it has the potential to contract whole market PE ...But where better ??
    Can I suggest you watch a truckload of CNBC - Channel 91 on SKY. This red hot debate has been raging for a long time now and the general consensus for FY21 seems to be that value now trumps growth in a rising interest rate environment. Companies with pricing power such as financials and retailers will do well in this environment. A report I read yesterday suggested a staggering 67% of retailers in N.Z. were looking at raising their prices in the near future. Good example was I saw a confidential dealer memorandum from one of N.Z's leading boat manufactures a couple of weeks ago. Prices went up 7-10% across the board on their various models effective 1 March 2021. There's only so long retailers and manufacturers will suck up the extra freight and production costs they're wearing and their patience is obviously wearing thin.

The ASB term deposit rate for 5 years went up to a "whopping" 1.75%...I doubt that will appeal to many HLG shareholders looking at a ~ 10% gross yield
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-03-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Definitely not you, that’s for sure. Anybody heeding your postings on HLG would have missed out on one of the best gains on the market in 2020.

And one thing I must respect about couta1, right or wrong, he puts his money and credibility where his mouth is, and is transparent about it.
    my postings were mainly before covid.
    i did say people who brought around $2 did well i believe around mid year
    Last edited by bull....; 02-03-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post

low/no growth stocks paying dividends close to the bank term deposit rate (~2%) one suspects will be negatively impacted more. However those growth companies with forward dividend yields ~5% or more (HLG, HGH, TRA, KPG) aren't going to have dividend focused investors abandon them in favour of a 1.75% term deposit interest rate with no possible capital growth.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 02-03-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Guru

"truckload of CNBC"

i was whatching the day when Joe said sometime in 2008

"will sub prime be contagious"

thats when i thought thats it finally someone going to start talking what actually happening..

and oh dear im thinking its been a long time since a full on depression and all those debt laden balance sheets are going to explode.

I said at the time to my parent who was an accountant.. "get your big clients to gold"

Lucky it wasnt needed....

You need to have been whatching for well over a decade... bit late now...good time to start for the next decade.

But the real stuff is to find what alarming black swan articles are being written by an economist and being laughed at by central bankers when they hold there big talk fests.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 02-03-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Guru

Interest rate moving to and above 2% before settling down as the bull markets kicks in again.

COM PROP stocks paying 2-3% move to being a trade along with banks except HGH (more like a finance company but MR B can enlighten us on that one.

dont underestimate FEB to talk the rate down by threatening to buy the long end and sell the short end of the yield curve.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 02-03-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Guru

yesterday was a lovely day to buy HLG and sadly we missed out. was hoping for a little under 7 and that never happened. NO chance this stock is going to follow it normal pattern unless they really run into trouble with aus sales.

we picked up SKC... yes i know MR B not a clean stock.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 02-03-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Its never too late to learn from others. Some very smart people on CNBC. If I had to pick my favorite guy to listen too it would be this guy. https://www.cnbc.com/michael-santoli/ He has a real knack for distilling down all the incredible amount of market noise into what really matters. When he speaks I listen carefully.
    Becky Quick is pretty cool too but I think she likes Warren Buffet too much and idolizes him...possibly an occupational hazard
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-03-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Actually just cancelled my sky subscription (moving to Skys online streaming products - SkySportNow & NEON for less than half the price and a much better viewing experience) - so will be giving up CNBC (wasn't worth the $60 a month price difference), but I'll be watching Bloomberg TV anyway (free on any streaming platform) which in general I find has much more in-depth coverage and superb hosts.