sharetrader
Page 792 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2926927427827887897907917927937947957968028428921292 ... LastLast
Results 7,911 to 7,920 of 14173
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller. I got an invite to join the sky broadband trial late last year and have been using it since January. Only good things to say! We had been having trouble with our previous broadband provider and despite various discussions with their ninjas, we weren’t getting any improvement. Got into the habit of doing speed tests and, out of curiosity, did a before and after test on the day we cut over to Sky. Upload and download speeds more than doubled and the sad state of our broadband service instantly ceased to be a household conversation topic.
    Glad I topped up again today...

Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller. I got an invite to join the sky broadband trial late last year and have been using it since January. Only good things to say! We had been having trouble with our previous broadband provider and despite various discussions with their ninjas, we weren’t getting any improvement. Got into the habit of doing speed tests and, out of curiosity, did a before and after test on the day we cut over to Sky. Upload and download speeds more than doubled and the sad state of our broadband service instantly ceased to be a household conversation topic.
    Hi Eden, who was your previous broadband provider?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Hi Eden, who was your previous broadband provider?
    I am assuming Vodafone given he referenced their "Ninjas".

Guru

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...2BZ3G6YDLIASI/

Discovery trimming down to have a leaner trans-tasman machine...

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I am assuming Vodafone given he referenced their "Ninjas".
    Yes, Vodafone. Bit more info if you’re interested - upload and download speeds jump around a bit but with the vodafone service we were typically getting download of around 40 Mbps and upload of 20 or so. On the afternoon after cutover to sky we were getting download speed of up to 130 and upload of up to 80.

Don’t know the technical whys and wherefore behind those numbers but I do know that we got better signal in more places around the house with the new Sky service/router. My son stopped complaining about being unable to play his games, my daughter stopped complaining about dodgy streaming, and my wife stopped complaining about stilted zoom calls. Everybody happy.

Guru

Yes, Vodafone. Bit more info if you’re interested - upload and download speeds jump around a bit but with the vodafone service we were typically getting download of around 40 Mbps and upload of 20 or so. On the afternoon after cutover to sky we were getting download speed of up to 130 and upload of up to 80.

Don’t know the technical whys and wherefore behind those numbers but I do know that we got better signal in more places around the house with the new Sky service/router. My son stopped complaining about being unable to play his games, my daughter stopped complaining about dodgy streaming, and my wife stopped complaining about stilted zoom calls. Everybody happy.
    Yea the wifi6 routers are supposed to get much better coverage than the typical wifi5 routers.

Great to see your speeds are significantly higher than before but a shame it is still well short of the 900Mbs download potential.
    Uploads should be getting up to 400Mbs.

Yea the wifi6 routers are supposed to get much better coverage than the typical wifi5 routers.

Great to see your speeds are significantly higher than before but a shame it is still well short of the 900Mbs download potential.
    Uploads should be getting up to 400Mbs.
    From what I have been told those speeds are only guaranteed using a Ethernet cord. I go from 900mps download plugged in to 130mps using 5g wifi. Makes it feel kinda pointless having a gigabit connection really. Someone correct me if I am wrong but this is what stuff fibre customer service team have told me. Lucky for me I plug most of my devices in using Ethernet cords.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DownTownJr View Post
    From what I have been told those speeds are only guaranteed using a Ethernet cord. I go from 900mps download plugged in to 130mps using 5g wifi. Makes it feel kinda pointless having a gigabit connection really. Someone correct me if I am wrong but this is what stuff fibre customer service team have told me. Lucky for me I plug most of my devices in using Ethernet cords.
    The top speeds advertised are always theoretical. In actual practice you will see lower speeds, especially with wifi connected devices.

Then there is the issue of what your device can handle. It doesn’t matter how ‘fast’ the internet speed is - your device will only be able to process the signal at a certain speed (and that speed is a lot less than 900Gbs!).

But with Spark I have had download speeds between 400-500Gbs and Upload speeds 200Gbs+.

[QUOTE=mistaTea;882649]The top speeds advertised are always theoretical. In actual practice you will see lower speeds, especially with wifi connected devices.

Then there is the issue of what your device can handle. It doesn’t matter how ‘fast’ the internet speed is - your device will only be able to process the signal at a certain speed (and that speed is a lot less than 900Gbs!).

But with Spark I have had download speeds between 400-500Gbs and Upload speeds 200Gbs+.[/QUOTE

Are those speeds over wifi or plugged in? I can't stand Spark but heck if I could get those speeds over wifi it would tempt me to switch.

Guru

[QUOTE=DownTownJr;882652]
    The top speeds advertised are always theoretical. In actual practice you will see lower speeds, especially with wifi connected devices.

But with Spark I have had download speeds between 400-500Gbs and Upload speeds 200Gbs+.[/QUOTE

Are those speeds over wifi or plugged in? I can't stand Spark but heck if I could get those speeds over wifi it would tempt me to switch.
    Wifi.

But then I do have my own NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK R7000 router...

It is still wifi5 tech but better than the routers Spark send.

When I am able to switch to Sky I will give their router a go.