Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
Those in peetter's camp may not know it or see the problem of higher house prices having an affect on society. Why would they when they have the house(s) and their children will get the benefit? I myself have already noticed how bad things are around NZ with a high % of private schools, the wide use of private health care by the rich, hell there's no reason for those people in that camp to ever care about the future of the 'have nots'.
I am kind of perplexed by this though, in the sense that I don't feel like ones social circle has to be particularly large in order to see the effects of this first hand. And even if not, it's not really hard to think through.

Personally, I've seen the value of property go up hugely but it honestly brings me zero joy while I watch friends who would meet any definition of "good with money" struggle to get on the ladder because they didn't buy 3 years ago or had a kid so were down to 1 income for a bit or had the audacity to work and travel for a year or two or any number of other things that have suddenly become barriers. How are we prepared to accept this?

PS I spent a year work/travel in Canada, absolutely loved it - incredible experience - ultimately got lucky with the timing is all.

PSS. peetter, my comment is more about the state of affairs in general.