sharetrader
Page 195 of 1429 FirstFirst ... 951451851911921931941951961971981992052452956951195 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 14286

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Let's face it....Ardern's "Be Kind" mantra only extends to those whose numbers deliver seats in parliament. Don't expect to see her anywhere near it. Her credibility already stretched further this week with her rejection of the 18k children pushed into poverty. Refuses to accept the methodology when the evidence is staring her in the teeth!
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money...3l4V9x_nFouEQs

Rents go sky high to record levels - totally predictable but of course it's landlords' fault - nothing to do with the government shoving regulations and costs down the throat of landlords.

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    This is laughable. Nothing in life is without risk. My brother is in Australia for years only on work visa and doing great. I can assure you he is perfectly capable of assessing all of the risks and rewards and is not "very irresponsible" as he actually hit the IQ scale ceiling.
    Agreed.

3 doctor friends of mine are over there (no Aussie citizenship) and they are earning twice as much for half the hours worked, plus consultancy incomes. Very very happy and as far as they are concerned, they have no problem with the 'peanuts' paid.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    [url]Rents go sky high to record levels - totally predictable but of course it's landlords' fault - nothing to do with the government shoving regulations and costs down the throat of landlords.
    Are you a landlord? I'm just trying to work out if you talk from experience or 'what you have heard'.
    I am a landlord and haven't found the regulations have added much in the way of costs.
    But then, I don't have houses that need to be made livable - they always have been through sensible maintenance and upgrades.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Are you a landlord? I'm just trying to work out if you talk from experience or 'what you have heard'.
    I am a landlord and haven't found the regulations have added much in the way of costs.
    But then, I don't have houses that need to be made livable - they always have been through sensible maintenance and upgrades.
    Do you not consider paying tax on your mortgage interest to be an increased cost?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Do you not consider paying tax on your mortgage interest to be an increased cost?
    Not to the extent that I would expect the tenants to pay it.
    A mortgage is your choice, those without mortgages will still put rents up if they increase - it is about 'what the market will bear' rather than 'cost plus'.

When CGT was being discussed a few years back many landlords were saying that they'd just charge more rent to make up for the tax on their gain.
    Many Landlords aren't steeped in rational thinking. On one hand, they say they are in it for the income then get grumpy if the gain (that they weren't 'interested' in) gets taxed.
    They said the same about the Brightline test.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Not to the extent that I would expect the tenants to pay it.
    A mortgage is your choice, those without mortgages will still put rents up if they increase - it is about 'what the market will bear' rather than 'cost plus'.

When CGT was being discussed a few years back many landlords were saying that they'd just charge more rent to make up for the tax on their gain.
    Many Landlords aren't steeped in rational thinking. On one hand, they say they are in it for the income then get grumpy if the gain (that they weren't 'interested' in) gets taxed.
    They said the same about the Brightline test.
    They can only increase rents in line with the market. I was addressing the point of increased costs to landlords, and the illogical and absurd tax change will be a huge cost to many

Advanced Member

Also more risk now it is very difficult to terminate risky tenants.

Recent changes to regulations have added a huge amount of complexity and many new fines. I would expect to see more owners engage property managers, a cost of around 10% of rent plus margins and letting fees, both paid by landlords.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    ….the aussies chew the kiwis up and then spit ‘em out!
    They do - they have a real 'F... you' attitude.
    That is why I prefer to live here than there, I find that they are very selfish and American-like in many of their attitudes.
    Adern got taken for a sucker when she thought that they were honorable and would do what they said.

Of course, their attitude is showing with the marches and their response to the Sydney lockdown resulting in the said lockdown being extended for another 4 weeks - more lockdown time than NZ. More fool them!
    Last edited by dobby41; 28-07-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Advanced Member

They can only increase rents in line with the market. I was addressing the point of increased costs to landlords, and the illogical and absurd tax change will be a huge cost to many
    Well that depends. Landlords can set rent to whatever they like, though can decide to change that if there are no acceptable takers. Or too many takers. Or make other decisions. Because they can.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post

He’s stood on his own two feet, created jobs, paid taxes, contributed the life of our city, and he
    It all begs the question: What sort of society does this to people?
    The NZ compensation regime for those affected by public works is woefully inadequate and not fit for purpose in the C21st.