Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Article below is on the Australian refinery situation

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...keep-them-open

Just as much emphasis is being placed on the quality of fuel produced, particularly as regards sulphur content, as the price. The post that I quoted above is from 2005, so I don't know how the market has evolved since. But my reading of it is that markets who do not have limits on the sulphur content of fuel will be given the lower quality stuff, albeit at a cheap price. High sulphur fuel cannot be used in the latest generation of efficient internal combustion petrol engines, and engines that do run on those fuels are higher polluters.

My questions:

1/ What is the sulphur content in petrol currently being produced by NZR, in parts per million of sulphur?
2/ What requirements are there in the future for the fuel companies to supply low sulphur fuel into New Zealand?

SNOOPY

For Petrol it's 10 ppm maximum for both NZR production and for any fuel sold in NZ. We follow European regulations.

Desulphurisation of petrol is pretty simple and cheap to do, for diesel its more complicated.

We spent 180 million dollars in 2006 to upgrade processing to meet new Sulphur requirements for diesel (under 10 ppm) and benzine in petrol.