sharetrader

Thread: New Scam

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Beer and wine delivery has been available for yonks in NZ. Can't imagine many would pay the fee.

Where did this info come from? Reads like one of the email chains that would start in the early 2000s with the aim of just being forwarded to as many people as possible.
    Sounds like a very expensive scam to run. Having some guy driving around in a fake courier company van in a bogus uniform with a fake portable bank terminal delivering 'free' flowers and wine? $100 odd to 'recruit' each scam victim sounds a very high price to pay. Technically it could work, as since the banks introduced paywave, it is possible to scan your card and produce a fake card that can operate without you disclosing your pass code

As an aside, my cousin got scammed this way in London by someone walking by with a skimming machine using 'skimwave' that could read his credit card details from his back pocket. That is why these days -since paywave- my credit card sits in a drawer at home. I use it to buy stuff on line, but it never leaves the house.

But back to this purported ruse. These days with all the home security camera's around, I would think our van driver would be picked up by the plod very quickly. I think this is just a chain letter with no real basis behind it. While technically possible, It is hard to fathom how such a scam could ever work in the real world.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 11-04-2022 at 12:56 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7