sharetrader
Page 29 of 129 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

I am not going to suggest anything is fair or not but society as a whole might be happier without David in charge. I would look to the happiest countries on the planet and see what they are doing if I were a politician.
    No matter what, no system will keep everyone happy. Personally I wonder about our system of social welfare when e.g. our local motels can't even get cleaners, full or part time, no experience required; and the same applies to other industries that have simply given up advertising for staff because it's a waste of money.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    No matter what, no system will keep everyone happy. Personally I wonder about our system of social welfare when e.g. our local motels can't even get cleaners, full or part time, no experience required; and the same applies to other industries that have simply given up advertising for staff because it's a waste of money.
    Maybe talk to Adrian Orr at the RBNZ he has been running monetary policy pretty fast and loose. Low unemployment and high inflation might be a sign the economy is running hot and he is not doing his job of providing price stability. An interest rate rise or two might see a reduction in activity.

What is worse some of the motels that need cleaners might have welfare bludgers filling them up but not wanting to work, maybe that is South Auckland not the South Island.

No doubt all the beneficiaries have reasons for not working but in this day and age of people shortages I get a bit cynical.

I am not going to suggest anything is fair or not but society as a whole might be happier without David in charge. I would look to the happiest countries on the planet and see what they are doing if I were a politician.
    Among all but the poorest countries, the happiest and healthiest countries are the most equal ones.

Reduce the gap between the rich and the poor. From the point of view of happiness and health, it doesn't matter whether you do that by redistributive taxation or structural change.
    Last edited by davflaws; 13-05-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    Among all but the poorest countries, the happiest and healthiest countries are the most equal ones.

Reduce the gap between the rich and the poor. From the point of view of happiness and health, it doesn't matter whether you do that by redistributive taxation or structural change.
    What does structural change involve?

Legend

Redistributive taxation aka Robin Hood type theft.
    Sstructural change. aka as Soviet style communism
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 13-05-2022 at 06:02 PM.

The most often quoted example is Japan in the postwar period, when the newly democratic govt put tremendous emphasis on education, social welfare, stable labour relations, and adoption of new technology. I know that the govt did things to encourage the banking system to support productive investment, but I can't remember what. I understand that part of what made this possible was the destruction of the prewar oligarch dominated social order.

Guru

Monetary stimulus direct to the people rather than banks / stock owners.

Membaa

The most often quoted example is Japan in the postwar period, when the newly democratic govt put tremendous emphasis on education, social welfare, stable labour relations, and adoption of new technology. I know that the govt did things to encourage the banking system to support productive investment, but I can't remember what. I understand that part of what made this possible was the destruction of the prewar oligarch dominated social order.
    Whether that improved things for the average folks who knows, probably did but it's so long ago it's not contextually relevant, as afterwards came the 'lost 30 years'. Japan is not a good example of how to get out of recession which holds everyone back from prosperity, and apparently the happiness that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Japan is not a good example of how to get out of recession which holds everyone back from prosperity, and apparently the happiness that comes with it.
    Past a (fairly low) level, it is not the prosperity that brings health and happiness, and Japan is not quoted as an example of how to get out of recession (though it remains a very rich country despite recession). Health and happiness is improved for EVERYONE when the difference between the wealth of the richest and the poorest is reduced,

Past a (fairly low) level, it is not the prosperity that brings health and happiness, and Japan is not quoted as an example of how to get out of recession (though it remains a very rich country despite recession). Health and happiness is improved for EVERYONE when the difference between the wealth of the richest and the poorest is reduced,
    Funny then how miserable people are in countries like North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela and Sri Lanka where disparity of wealth is low?