sharetrader

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Said like you worked there JAK. OCA is not structured at all well towards dementia. Your guesswork is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Yeah the calculator is really misfiring at the moment.

It's been an AWFUL year having 25% of my entire net worth in Berkshire, 16% in Occidental Petroleum warrants, 7% in ExxonMobil and Alliance resources and 12% in Markel, 4% In ASX Mader, Esquire, Progressive, All State... (Mostly all documented AT time of purchase on Sharetrader)

Only outperforming the market by around 32% this year.

Super frustrating.

I often wish I could just have 12 Screens and make money off ANY chart, ANY time ANY where.

Then I wouldn't have to work 60 hours a week.
    lucky bets eh , if you can keep doing that for the next 15 - 20 yrs you will be very wealthy indeed. I notice though you didnt mention your losing bets ? ie such as oca
    one step ahead of the herd

hope everyone got out on the trade 78 -82 as i mentioned implied a move to 86 which we got
    now it's hammer time
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    No, I doubt they can guarantee you a rest home or hospital level bed, but I assume you might go to the top of the waiting list as an existing ORA client?

Either way, if someone had a major fall requiring transport to hospital, they may go to an AT&R (Assessment, treatment and rehab) ward to rehabilitate, before returning to their unit. It may be that if they were then assessed as needing hospital level care, that care could be provided in their unit temporarily, until a care bed/care suite became available.

This is why the care suite model is going to be a game-changer. If you go with the care suite you are guaranteed increasing levels of care will be provided within that suite, which means you can effectively stay there until you die. The only exception to that rule, will (I think) be if you required dementia level care at some point. If someone developed issues with wandering, aggressive behaviours etc, this would probably not be able to be managed in a care suite situation. A lot would depend on the level of dementia and whether or not the person was living with a spouse. Some people with dementia would be OK staying in a care suite, but a lot would not be.

All of this is just guesswork on my part, so I could be way off base. Mav and Ferg might have some actual knowledge of how this would work.
    It does make sense, that the the waiting list for a rest home bed would be prioritised for villagers. The wait for a standard rest home bed as opposed to a premium rest home suite may be a bit longer perhaps. That is just supposition on my part - I have no idea. It could be frustrating for non-villagers on the waiting list, especially in the scenario where rest homes are increasingly provided in villages.

Dementia care is another kettle of fish and very challenging for all. Let's hope that recent Alzheimer's breakthrough leads to further treatments.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...urther-funding
    Last edited by Bjauck; 10-12-2022 at 07:17 AM.

Again, this is guesswork, I imagine OCA would retain those standard, government subsidised beds, for those who do not have the financial means to pay for care. Someone coming from a unit or apartment, would probably choose to move to a care suite at that point, for continuity of care without having to move again (excluding dementia scenario).

Yep, dementia is an absolute bitch. The future need for dedicated dementia care facilities, is going to be mind blowing.

Dementia is my greatest fear as I get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    It does make sense, that the the waiting list for a rest home bed would be prioritised for villagers. The wait for a standard rest home bed as opposed to a premium rest home suite may be a bit longer perhaps. That is just supposition on my part - I have no idea. It could be frustrating for non-villagers on the waiting list, especially in the scenario where rest homes are increasingly provided in villages.

Dementia care is another kettle of fish and very challenging for all. Let's hope that recent Alzheimer's breakthrough leads to further treatments.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...urther-funding

Guru

One could also expand euthanasia to include longer term degenerative conditions (assuming appropriate safegaurds).

Or cure it (hard ask with overly restrictive FDA regulations).
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 10-12-2022 at 09:21 AM.

............ Deleted. Waste of precious air.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    One could also expand euthanasia to include long-term degenerative conditions (assuming appropriate safegaurds).

Guru

Here's a 2005 example where a panel of doctors approve a voluntary euthanasia request for Alzhiemers disease so there is a precedent.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC557252/
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 10-12-2022 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    One could also expand euthanasia to include longer term degenerative conditions (assuming appropriate safegaurds).

I hope you are still able to realise that this is the OCA thread? Alzheimer is a bitch.

It is dangerous to throw stones when you are sitting in a glass house. You never know who is reading this. Just hope, they never apply this to you when its your turn
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Dad had dementia and was a lifelong supporter of euthanasia. He would have been very keen to have that option.