sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Can you explain a bit more how Paywave on an iPhone might work? Are you saying that the phone owner must activate it for each transaction by putting in a password or something?

SNOOPY
    Yes on my phone with apple pay - a double press of a button and then either my face or 6-digit pin does the trick for the card to be debited, when the phone is near the reader terminal.You do not need the physical card.

https://www.visa.co.nz/pay-with-visa...-payments.html
    Last edited by Bjauck; 03-02-2023 at 05:14 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Yes on my phone with apple pay - a double press of a button and then either my face or 6-digit pin does the trick for the card to be debited, when the phone is near the reader terminal.You do not need the physical card.

https://www.visa.co.nz/pay-with-visa...-payments.html
    I don't use anything else these days and feel it is safer than a physical card. Not to mention not having to carry a wallet wherever I go. Got so used to it when in Europe on an extensive visit last year, where everyone uses it, that I moved my credit card from Kiwibank when I got home as they oddly don't offer Apple Pay.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I don't use anything else these days and feel it is safer than a physical card. Not to mention not having to carry a wallet wherever I go. Got so used to it when in Europe on an extensive visit last year, where everyone uses it, that I moved my credit card from Kiwibank when I got home as they oddly don't offer Apple Pay.
    I wonder what proportion of their clients have apple products. A significant proportion I imagine are not being serviced well.

Until the end of 2022, Paywave fees were high in NZ. Maybe since the Retail Payment Ace came into effect, payWave will be more widely available in NZ.
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...nt-availablity
    Last edited by Bjauck; 03-02-2023 at 07:45 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I wonder what proportion of their clients have apple products. A significant proportion I imagine are not being serviced well.

Until the end of 2022, Paywave fees were high in NZ. Maybe since the Retail Payment Ace came into effect, payWave will be more widely available in NZ.
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...nt-availablity
    I had a call from a Kiwibank Customer Service guy from Dunedin asking me what the reason was for me closing the account. I told him I was happy with my credit card account in general but the only reason was their stated policy of not accepting Apple Pay in the foreseeable future. His response indicated that he wasn't surprised and I clearly was not the first person he had dealt with quitting for that reason. I think Kiwibank is making a huge mistake and is being left behind. The bank that was going to take on the "Big Aussie banks" with much bravado. The customers won't come back, especially given the increasing difficulties and interrogations involved with starting new accounts.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-02-2023 at 08:20 AM.

I had a call from a Kiwibank Customer Service guy from Dunedin asking me what the reason was for me closing the account. I told him I was happy with my credit card account in general but the only reason was their stated policy of not accepting Apple Pay in the foreseeable future. His response indicated that he wasn't surprised and I clearly was not the first person he had dealt with quitting for that reason. I think Kiwibank is making a huge mistake and is being left behind. The bank that was going to take on the "Big Aussie banks" with much bravado. The customers won't come back, especially given the increasing difficulties and interrogations involved with starting new accounts.
    Kiwibank's attitude is consistent with that of the owner of that business: they know best.
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

On the doghouse

I don't use anything else these days and feel it is safer than a physical card. Not to mention not having to carry a wallet wherever I go.
    Yes but an iPhone is a lot more bulky that a card wallet, or even a full money card wallet.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Yes but an iPhone is a lot more bulky that a card wallet, or even a full money card wallet.

SNOOPY
    It may well be but if you leave home without your mobile phone, I suggest you belong to a small minority of people. If you don't carry a mobile phone on you when you're out, you are clearly not in the target market for the Apple Pay technology !!
    Why would I want to carry my wallet with me when I've got everything I need in the phone ?

And you're also wrong about the 6 figure code. As Bjauck said, EITHER a face recognition that most people have, or a 6 digit code.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-02-2023 at 02:10 PM.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

"Why would I want to carry my wallet with me when I've got everything I need in the phone ?"

Because I don't want a single point of failure - I want redundancy-based resilience.

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    "Why would I want to carry my wallet with me when I've got everything I need in the phone ?"

Because I don't want a single point of failure - I want redundancy-based resilience.
    As long as we recognise with increased resilience comes increased risk.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    As long as we recognise with increased resilience comes increased risk.
    And increased utility.

It's a perpetual trade-off - risks have to be managed but cannot be eliminated.

G*d bless the twenty-first century and all who sail in it!