sharetrader

Hybrid View

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Good morning Airw0lf. . .

What's your hack for cash accounts?

I have a number of foreign currency accounts which drive me nuts. They go up and down like yoyos, and each month I debit the previous month's balance and credit the current balance.

I don't particularly care about the NZD value, only the FX value - I just want to know how the monthend balances are tracking

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Good morning Airw0lf. . .

What's your hack for cash accounts?

I have a number of foreign currency accounts which drive me nuts. They go up and down like yoyos, and each month I debit the previous month's balance and credit the current balance.

I don't particularly care about the NZD value, only the FX value - I just want to know how the monthend balances are tracking

Thanks
    I created a custom investment - e.g., PIE Fund or unlisted company. Then added 1 share at the price of the "opening balance" in my account. I then just keep repricing this share as the balance in the account. It then all works like intended - you can see the balance go up and down and Sharesight works out capital gains, etc.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Airw0lf View Post
    I created a custom investment - e.g., PIE Fund or unlisted company. Then added 1 share at the price of the "opening balance" in my account. I then just keep repricing this share as the balance in the account. It then all works like intended - you can see the balance go up and down and Sharesight works out capital gains, etc.
    Nice. I'll give it a whirl this monthend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Nice. I'll give it a whirl this monthend.

Thanks
    I have found that this approach doesn't work well for calculating the capital gains. However, it creates nice charts which can easily show how the account is tracking. So it's good enough for me for now.