sharetrader

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Hybrid View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Bad timing eh but don’t you feel peeved .....probably put the price up days before or holding back on the next price reduction until they squeezed every cent out of you and others
    Yes I would like greater transparency in relation to pricing. NZ Retail pricing in general in the last 15 plus years has become more opaque. There has been a surge in discounting, loyalty cards and customers being able to negotiate individual discounts. It is a jungle needing greater regulation imo.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 10-11-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Yes I would like greater transparency in relation to pricing. NZ Retail pricing in general in the last 15 plus years has become more opaque. There has been a surge in discounting, loyalty cards and customers being able to negotiate individual discounts. It is a jungle needing greater regulation imo.
    There's always been discounting for big customers just like rental car companies get big discounts or both the cars and their fuel. I think its up to retail customers to work whatever discounts and loyalty card rewards they feel is in their best interests taking into account the proximity of the service stations to their usual route. Its not that hard, certainly not a jungle.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    There's always been discounting for big customers just like rental car companies get big discounts or both the cars and their fuel. I think its up to retail customers to work whatever discounts and loyalty card rewards they feel is in their best interests taking into account the proximity of the service stations to their usual route. Its not that hard, certainly not a jungle.
    So true ....just shows you how much margin they have to play with ...and they plead poverty poor buggers
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I guess that’s good for those who own their own homes (secure housing) and have secure fixed location employment who can say that they have a usual route. Unfortunately the 1960’s American sitcom style middle class lifestyle is but a fairy tale for many today. I stand by my opinion that present-day NZ retailing (and not just petrol retailing) has descended into a figurative jungle.

Consumer protection was designed to provide safety and certainty for individuals and address the power imbalance inherent in retail trading and not to cover business to business deals as with your hire car company example.