sharetrader

Hybrid View

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    So where are the Greens in all this? James Shaw apparently sent packing to the movies yesterday. Given they also hold a key to a Party being government I would have thought they would have been a lot more vocal about their position. Are they going to be a doormat - or do they have the will to be a truly effective coalition partner?
    The Grerns have no power. If they played the game to win, they would never align with any party. If that were the case, arguably their vote would have been significantly higher - and even if not there would be no kingmaker. They would be sought after just as Winston would be. They just haven't learnt, As a minor they should be prepared to make small policy advances at every election.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The Grerns have no power. .
    Math has never been my strongest skill but by my reckoning NZ First plus Labour does not make a majority. So the Greens hold all the power - or at least power equal to NZ First as far as Labour is concerned.

For example. If Winston wants a train from Auckland to Whangarei, and Jacinda wants one from Tauranga to Auckland then James should insist on one from the Manawatu to Hawkes bay. If Winston wants to keep things in NZ James should be insisting on Kiwibank offering lower mortgages.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Math has never been my strongest skill but by my reckoning NZ First plus Labour does not make a majority. So the Greens hold all the power - or at least power equal to NZ First as far as Labour is concerned.
    But their 'power' is to agree to whatever they are offered, or keep the L/G/W block right out of it altogether. That's not equal to Winston's power who can scramble off and screw some baubles out of the other major party. MMP will never work as intended until parties emerge who are free to head in either direction.