Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
I've been looking and came across IVV. I also made a quick phone call to Jarden and the adviser says none of those ETFs that have a majority foreign (outside NZ/ASX) exposure holding equities will be exempted from FIF. IVV also has a franking rate of 0% which will be like most ETFs that hold foreign content and therefore will never be exempted from FIF as ASX franking is a requirement.

Anotherwords, the adviser said to me, "You can't contract yourself to pick foreign holdings through a conduit (the ETF) when ultimately, the foreign holding is of non NZ/Aus based investments and therefore IRD will have in every right, to impose FIF". After all, the whole point of FIF is to tax overseas share investments that have a focus on capital gain growth (as NZ has no format CGT and such gains would be tax free without FIF).
SBQ. If you are looking for Aussie instruments that are exempt to the FIF regime then arguably the best place for you to check is with the IRD direct. There is a specific webpage you can refer to in the first instance (provided below). The FIF regime has quite a few idiosyncrasies which makes determining whether an instrument comes under the provisions or not much more difficult. Sadly it's not as straightforward as simply checking that the entity is in the ASX200!

https://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax/i...ent-fund-rules