sharetrader
Page 179 of 505 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    I think the Nats nearly passed away on Saturday on life support at best.
    Maybe so tim23. The worm will turn. Remember the Blair days in the UK? The Left gobbled up the Centre Right, much like the Clark regime here. Then came Key who gobbled it back. The only question is how many terms? And how much damage will they wreak in the meantime?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Maybe so tim23. The worm will turn. Remember the Blair days in the UK? The Left gobbled up the Centre Right, much like the Clark regime here. Then came Key who gobbled it back. The only question is how many terms? And how much damage will they wreak in the meantime?

Quite probably at some stage in future, but there's a major difficulty National are facing for 2023 & that's a perceived lack of talent in their severely diminished caucus.
    One of the biggest reasons Labour completely annihilated National & just won by a record is that most NZers could not see the remaining National MP's as a viable government, too many mistakes, too much scandal, too much infighting, not enough diversity, lacking cohesion, boring old crusty and stale.
    Somehow they have to refresh & rebuild into a group which looks like representing the board interests of the country and being a viable government.
    The problem is how to do that with the remaining uninspiring bunch theyre left with.

The one possible outlier I see to this is Chris Luxton who has excellent media presentation skills but would voters see a first term MP as a viable PM in 2023?

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I quite like carked.
    Personally I love the word carked but wouldnt use it in a conversation with someone outside of my immediate family and friends

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Personally I love the word carked but wouldnt use it in a conversation with someone outside of my immediate family and friends
    Popped his clogs is a good one and then there is Shuffle off this mortal coil for the more refined.

Guru

I quite like carked.
    I like Gone burger and turn up your toes. Sleeping with the fishes or sleeping with the angels are good depending on how good or young the person was....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Popped his clogs is a good one and then there is Shuffle off this mortal coil for the more refined.
    and hard to beat 'kicked the bucket'.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I like Gone burger and turn up your toes. Sleeping with the fishes or sleeping with the angels are good depending on how good or young the person was....
    I thought "Sleeping with the fishes" applied to those from NJ with Sicilian connections!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    I thought "Sleeping with the fishes" applied to those from NJ with Sicilian connections!
    I think that was the origin...sometimes with concrete shoes. (building had a lot of mafia involvement)

Popping your clogs is probably of Northern English origin.

https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/blog/w...me-from/259120
    Last edited by Bjauck; 23-10-2020 at 12:03 PM.

I quite like carked.
    Back to cark.. it comes from the word Khak.. which means dirt, dust, etc. the word Khaki is also from the same root, meaning the colour of dust, or the colour of the dirt/mud, in Hindi. So the term to 'cark it' derives from 'dust to dust, ashes to ashes' referring to death..

IMO

Int origin thanks.I was thinking maybe carked meant dying in a parked car.
    Pushing up daisies and Croaked others and maybe "fallen off their perch " fits Nationals current situ.