sharetrader
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by Waiuta View Post
    I hold bonds in IFT, KCFHA, MCY and ZEL. I also hold shares in AIR,CEN,GNE,IFT,KPG,NZR and ZEL. Also hold about $40K cash
    It's taken me a while to get this mix and maybe I should have MEL instead of GNE and perhaps some HGH. We're in our early to mid 70's and overall I'd say it's pretty defensive and seems to suit our needs. I sometimes wonder if I should cash out some share growth but knowing it's there is a sort of insurance if needed.
    I brought GNE and MEL at issue.MEL is our power supplier.Perhaps MCY is the best generator to hold ,as their generation is closest to their customer base.?I would not recommend one generator over another.
    Sit on what you have,it looks a pretty good portfolio to me too.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waiuta View Post
    I hold bonds in IFT, KCFHA, MCY and ZEL. I also hold shares in AIR,CEN,GNE,IFT,KPG,NZR and ZEL. Also hold about $40K cash
    It's taken me a while to get this mix and maybe I should have MEL instead of GNE and perhaps some HGH. We're in our early to mid 70's and overall I'd say it's pretty defensive and seems to suit our needs. I sometimes wonder if I should cash out some share growth but knowing it's there is a sort of insurance if needed.
    Well I beg to differ with the other Beagle and the one who holds the 'perce' strings. Nothing wrong with any of those investments on their own, I agree. But as a portfolio it looks very strongly correlated, perhaps unhealthily so, to the energy sector. CEN, GNE and IFT (through Trustpower) are all Gentailers. ZEL owns a stake in NZR. AIR and ZEL both suffer when fuel prices are high. Petrol price goes up and the retail malls are hit through drying up of spare cash (affects KPG). If you have retired, it looks a bit risky to hold such a combination. I would suggest diversification into other sectors less susceptible to the pitch fork of the dancing energy demon.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Conservatively it should have these components as a basis set to appropriate percentages e.g. cash <5%; NZ Fixed Int 30% Int'l Fixed Interest 12% etc etc.
    Even with a 500K portfolio those divisions means mostly using funds so as to gain company diversification within each sector. It is usually accepted as practical to have a large element of fixed interest in NZ despite it not being quite correct.

Cash
    NZ Fixed Interest
    International Fixed Interest
    Property
    NZ and Australian Equities
    International Equities - Core
    International Smaller Companies
    Emerging Markets
    Specialty
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Can we assume Govt Super is worth $617 a week in the hand and house is mortgage free.

What is the couples budgeted / hoped for expenditure a week. How is their health?

What is value of house - as I would also look at a REL.
    Thanks so much for this feedback guys as I am stumped regards knowing what to do. At this point all I can conclude is knowledge is good. The more information I have available the better equiped I should be to make an informed decision.
    As for our situation, we have always lived within our modest means so I see no major change there going forward. We would however like the 500k to enhance our modest lifestyle as we move forward.
    Our health is good, I prefer to invest in good fitness and diet rather than health insurance.
    Yes, once wife retires we will recieve $617 pw. For now im still working (modest income low stress employment ) but, only becuse I want to. If i wake up tomorrow and decide to persue other interests I will !
    House is mortgage free.

Handsome Member

I am a few decades away from 65 but basically what I have setup for the Mrs. will be my retirement portfolio if mortgage free and a paid off boat to head off for catch every chance I get

In equal shares:

NZX50 Fund (FNZ)
    MEL
    CEN
    SPK
    AIA

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    Thanks so much for this feedback guys as I am stumped regards knowing what to do. At this point all I can conclude is knowledge is good. The more information I have available the better equiped I should be to make an informed decision.
    As for our situation, we have always lived within our modest means so I see no major change there going forward. We would however like the 500k to enhance our modest lifestyle as we move forward.
    Our health is good, I prefer to invest in good fitness and diet rather than health insurance.
    Yes, once wife retires we will recieve $617 pw. For now im still working (modest income low stress employment ) but, only becuse I want to. If i wake up tomorrow and decide to persue other interests I will !
    House is mortgage free.
    The fact you were able to be a home owner (and then trade down to provide retirement capital) does show how NZ traditional home ownership has been the bedrock of NZ retirement planning.

As home ownership declines (and is not necessarily the best choice for all people anyway) and fewer families can afford to be owners, a retirement savings plan needs to be established which incurs the same level of tax obligations as home ownership for the same level of gains. KiwiSaver as a savings plan is just a very small step in that direction.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 10-01-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

I am noticing that most of you only hold a few stock. As in 5 or 6. Hmmm I hold quite a few, as in 18. I thought I was being defensive by doing this but maybe I am over diversified? How many stocks do people think is a good number to have?

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    I am noticing that most of you only hold a few stock. As in 5 or 6. Hmmm I hold quite a few, as in 18. I thought I was being defensive by doing this but maybe I am over diversified? How many stocks do people think is a good number to have?
    I have 8 in my "set and forget " portfolio (I Haven't touched this for years and it keeps on ticking over nicely)
    I also have 8 in my "aggressive" (this gets reviewed regularly with stocks go in and out depending how they are performing). I'm looking at adding 2 more - maybe

Guru

I have 30.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Conservatively it should have these components as a basis set to appropriate percentages e.g. cash <5%; NZ Fixed Int 30% Int'l Fixed Interest 12% etc etc.
    Even with a 500K portfolio those divisions means mostly using funds so as to gain company diversification within each sector. It is usually accepted as practical to have a large element of fixed interest in NZ despite it not being quite correct.

Cash
    NZ Fixed Interest
    International Fixed Interest
    Property
    NZ and Australian Equities
    International Equities - Core
    International Smaller Companies
    Emerging Markets
    Specialty
    Thanks but that's straight out of the authorized financial advisor standard rulebook. What ynot needs is specific advice. For example if one were to have some of their funds in emerging markets which fund would you recommend ? How does he buy them e.t.c.
    I would go with TEM in that sector which is easy and cost effective to buy on the NZX but I would only recommend a maximum of 5% in that area. (Almost zero yield for one thing, same for international fixed interest) (Disclaimer - Not that I am an AFA or specifically recommending anything)
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-01-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine